Author Topic: Glossop parish registers on film  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glossop parish registers on film
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 February 17 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm off to Matlock this week....will see if the originals can help.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
That would be very kind of you but please don't go out of your way.

Graham

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 March 17 07:07 GMT (UK) »
I never did get a reply from the LDS centre at Billingham but enquired of Derbyshire CRO and was able to obtain images from them of the pages from the original registers.

The baptism entry is perfectly clear but the burial entry less so. My wife and I can see how the name of Mary's father was transcribed as James (though it also looks a bit like Janus or even Jonus) but the main thing that struck us is that the word is in a different hand from the rest of the writing on the page. It would appear that the forename of Mary's father has been left out when the original entry was made and added in by someone else afterwards. The implication is that whoever made the original entry wasn't sure who the father was and whoever added it may have fudged it a bit as he wasn't sure either.

I asked a friend in Canada to look at the image and he told me "I looked at the records and think it says Jonus (I've seen this several times before in those early records) I believe it's the same as John. I was also told this my the Mormon Family History Centre when I worked there years ago."