Author Topic: Thornton family in Barnsley?  (Read 595 times)

Offline darls

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thornton family in Barnsley?
« on: Saturday 25 February 17 08:02 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to either prove or disprove the details as put out by Burke's on his "Burke's Colonial Gentry" (http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/bernard-burke/a-genealogical-and-heraldic-history-of-the-colonial-gentry-in-two-volumes-vol-kru/page-45-a-genealogical-and-heraldic-history-of-the-colonial-gentry-in-two-volumes-vol-kru.shtml)

According to notes, Samuel Thornton was an "Esquire, of Barnsley, co. York, England, woollen manufacturer, was the father of Samuel Thornton, Esq., who was b. at Barnsley, co. York, emigrated from England in 1812, and arrived as one of the earliest emigrants in Sydney, New South Wales, a free immigrant, in 1814, and obtained grants of land from the Colonial government. He m. Sarah Madden (who was b. in London, and d. in 1827), and d. in 1842, leaving issue, the present Hon. George Thornton.

Crest used - Issuing out of a ducal coronet a lion's head."

My research shows up that Samuel Jnr and Sarah Madden (who was a convict) married before 1812 and did migrated to Australia in 1814, following Sarah's mother to Sydney. They've had 5 confirmed children (Sarah L, Samuel, Margaret, George A, Mary A, and Edward).

My question is to try to work out whose Thornton family the Samuel Thornton would be from and why is the crest significant as I cannot find a right one so far.

Thanks,
Darlene Thornton (I descends from Edward Thornton above).