Author Topic: Scottish Directories  (Read 539 times)

Offline Michelle56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Scottish Directories
« on: Saturday 25 February 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how far in behind were the Scottish Directories printed.
I have found my 3x GT. Grandfather in the 1848-1849 copy and was just wondering how accurate the dates were.

Michelle
May / Aberdeenshire - Cairnbulg - Inverallochy
White / Fairley- Lanarkshire - Glasgow - Hutchesontown
McLeod / Glasgow - Greenock - Liverpool
Beavan / Goodwin / Hesketh / Martindale / Poole / Quinn / Rimmer -Liverpool
Lesbirel / Lisbrel - Liverpool - Channel Islands/Jersey

Offline nuff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Directories
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 17 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I cannot state specific knowledge, but a few thoughts. I do not know which directories you are looking at, but base my comments on those I have used in my researches.

One clue would be the frequency of publication. Also there are often ammendments to be found, usually at the start of the directory, or a list of changes in some instances since the last edition. Trade entries, especially advertisers are the most likely to be up to date, as they generate the income to the publisher. Residential lists are likely to have least priority.

A directory would take agreat deal of work to assemble, there are examples in the publisher's forwords of them bemoaning the extent of the task, so it would be understandable that subsequent issues would be based on the first and ammended as changes became known. Again this would prioritise the trade entries, and would explain out of date information still being retained.

Lists of council officers are often foundand could be compared to other historical references ( every town will have a list of mayors and dates) Other tables and articles would certainly indicate the latest time of ammendment.

In short, I would suggest that unless it is an advertiser, then inclusion, or absence, may well not be contemporaneous with publication. Perhaps others have an opinion.

Offline Michelle56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, the information I got was from;

The Scottish Post Office Directories-Scottish Directories-National Library of Scotland.
The area I was looking at was Greenock

http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=91047488

Michelle

P.S.

I really should learn to read the small print as well. :-\
May / Aberdeenshire - Cairnbulg - Inverallochy
White / Fairley- Lanarkshire - Glasgow - Hutchesontown
McLeod / Glasgow - Greenock - Liverpool
Beavan / Goodwin / Hesketh / Martindale / Poole / Quinn / Rimmer -Liverpool
Lesbirel / Lisbrel - Liverpool - Channel Islands/Jersey

Offline nuff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
These appear to be annual publications, so subject to some reservations over the publisher's efficiency, I would expect the contents to be relatively current.

One of my first brick walls was eased by a directory entry and I have always enjoyed using them if only for browsing the ads.