Author Topic: Elisabeth PEW  (Read 1687 times)

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elisabeth PEW
« on: Saturday 25 February 17 15:39 GMT (UK) »
My g/g/grandmother Elisabeth Pew, born in Co Down, Ireland and the daughter of Robert Pew and Jane Hastie, had three daughters before her marriage to Michael Kennedy.I have some information like Scotland birth registrations and Scotland census but nothing else and I have always wondered what happened to her daughters before marrying Michael Kennedy.
 Daughter 1 - Elisabeth Pew, born 9/11/1856, New Monkland, mother Elisabeth Pew, father not recorded. In the 1861 census Elisabeth is known as Elisabeth Brown age 3 and living at 2284 West Side, Airdrie with her grandmother Jane Pew (age 41) and uncles Alexander Pew, James Pew, Henry Pew and Thomas Pew. (Her mother Elisabeth Pew is at the Robb family farm at Dryflat as a servant). The 1871 census she is known as Elisabeth Pew and living at 33 Bell St, Airdrie with her grandmother Jane Pew, mother Elisabeth Pew, half sister Janet Pew (9), and half brother James Kennedy (8 mths). Also residing there are her uncles Henry and Thomas Pew.
  Daughter 2 - Janet Pew, born 30/11/1861, New Monkland, mother Elisabeth Pew, father not recorded. Janet Pew is in the 1871 census as I mentioned above. I was told by a relation of mine who has done some researching on the Kennedy-Pew side that the Sheriff of Lanarkshire at Airdrie served a paternity suit on one Alexander Robb of Dryflat Farm - Elisabeth was working for the Robb family as a servant and it is in the 1861 census which I have. Janet Pew also appears in the 1881 census living at 35 Bell St, Airdrie with her grandmother Jane Pew and uncle Thomas Pew. Janet and is age 17 and works as a Pirn Winder.
 Daughter 3 - Mary Jane Pew, born 28/11/1861, New Monkland, mother Elisabeth Pew, father not recorded.
 I have a Scotland Select Marriages for Elisabeth and Michael Kennedy for 1/2/1869 at Airdrie but am baffled as to why Elisabeth uses her maiden name Pew in the 1871 census and not her married name. Also she is living with her mother and daughters Elisabeth and Janet and son James Kennedy who is 8 mths old. Michael Kennedy is not in the census and so far I have been unable to find his 1871 census. He was a coal miner.
 Am hoping someone may know more about the three daughters of Elisabeth than I already have.
  Kind Regards, Judy

Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Elisabeth PEW
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
There is a death of an Elizabeth Pew, aged 55, in Airdrie or New Monkland in 1920, and a death of a Mary Jane Pew, aged 58, in Bothwell in 1916. The ages aren't quite spot on but it might be worth a look to see if these could be Elizabeth's daughters?

On the other hand, if Mary Jane wasn't in the 1871 census, had she died young?

Have you found any of them in the 1881 census? I see that Michael and Elizabeth were in Old Monkland with several children in 1881.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 17 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you' Forfarian' for your reply. I was thinking also that Mary Jane died young. I have saved the death records also of Elizabeth Pew (1920) and Mary Jane Pew (1916). I will still keep searching for the three daughters -  of and on.
 thank you again
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 March 17 07:48 GMT (UK) »
I have saved the death records also of Elizabeth Pew (1920) and Mary Jane Pew (1916).
Have you downloaded the full details? Remember that Scottish death certificate normally tell you the full names of the deceased's parents, including mothers' maiden surnames. If these are the daughters, you might as well, then if they are the right ones you will only have one left to look for.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 00:53 GMT (UK) »
After reading your message I went onto my ancestry page to have a look at the two records I saved and they are both not Scotland records! When I was searching for death records on ancestry I didn't change the location, and as it was England last time I searched, of course England records appeared. I usually make sure about the location when searching but there is the odd time that I forget but usually notice after a while but in the Pew case I did not. One of the records was spelt Pugh and she died in 1919 (not 1920).
Is there a site where I can view/download records? I know of Scotland's People but I am not a paid customer. Would it be worth becoming a paid member as besides my side of the tree, my husbands side is either Scottish and Irish and there are plenty.
 Thanking you and cheers

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sally,

Scotlandspeople is free to join but payment Credits cost £0.25 each and are available in batches of 30 (£7.50) or 40 (£10) (like pay-as-you-go) rather than monthly or yearly subscription.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Is there a site where I can view/download records? I know of Scotland's People but I am not a paid customer. Would it be worth becoming a paid member as besides my side of the tree, my husbands side is either Scottish and Irish and there are plenty.
SP is not a 'membership' site. It is purely pay-per-view, though of course you have to register, which is free of charge. Searching the indexes is now free too, and each certificate effectively costs £1.50 to view/download.
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

There is nowhere you can view/download English and Welsh BMD certificates. You have to send away for them and it's currently £9.25 per certificate.
See https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/home.asp

The indexes are widely available, mostly behind a paywall, but The GRO indexes are free to use and FreeBMD is almost complete to 1983 now. See http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 00:16 GMT (UK) »
THANK YOU so much Annie for your help and I will now sometime today go onto SP and do some searching. Thanks also for the enclosed links. Also this is a great site for helping people, especially ones like me who are still learning. I am getting fantastic help via this site for another family who also came from Ireland to Scotland and are connected to the Pew/Kennedy line.
 Thanking you again
    Cheers, judy

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 December 17 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello there - I have a Thomas & Elizabeth Pew in my family tree who came from Co Down to Airdrie- they were my 3x great grandparents and I'm from their daughter Isabella Smith Pew. I think you are from her brother Robert
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland