Author Topic: Harriet Martin transported to Van Diemans Land in 1845 on the Tory  (Read 2531 times)

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harriet Martin transported to Van Diemans Land in 1845 on the Tory
« on: Saturday 25 February 17 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I have just found out that a distant ancestor  Harriet Martin (born c 1804) was charged with larceny in in 1844 in Birmingham, England - and transported to Van Diemans Land on the Tory in 1845 to serve a 14 year sentence.

She left a husband behind in England - David Martin - and six children - 2 of whom were bedridden

I have found various transportation/convict documents but how can I find out if she served her full sentence and what happened to her afterwards.

Fay

Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Martin transported to Van Diemans Land in 1845 on the Tory
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 17 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Ticket-of-leave grated 1852, 4th column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article226523400

TOL revoked 1853, 3rd column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36268303

TOL granted 1854, 6th column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article65712728

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 17 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fay,

Have a look at Harriet's digitised record on the following Tasmanian Government site.  A fair bit of good information about Harriet but can be tricky to read unless enlarged.

https://talis.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/

Gerry

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 17 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much for your replies.

I live in Birmingham, England - where Harriet originated from - so apart from searching on Google and Ancestry I was unsure what online records are available re convicts transported to VDL.

Gerry I came across the website a couple of days ago that you gave the link to and found invaluable information for my Harriet and also a marriage for a Harriet Martin to Sam Warbutton in 1860 but her age is given as 38 but I think you could add another 20 years to my ancestor. So unsure about the marriage.

Jamjar, is there any way I can find out why her ticket of leave would have been granted, then revoked a year later then granted a year after that.

Thank you both so much

Fay
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 17 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Fay, you'll find a detailed account of her record on the site given by Gerry. It appears she was often AWOL and not very well behaved. Her TOL was again revoked in 1858. She was living with a man as his wife and not Sam Warburton.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 17 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Jamjar, I must have missed that information. I did have trouble reading the documentation so will go back and study with my magnifying glass.

I am unsure what TOL means.

Am I correct in thinking that she didn't serve her 14 sentence if she was given TOL in 1852, having only served 7 years of her sentence.

Would this mean she was released  early from her 14 year sentence subject to certain terms and conditions- good behaviour etc.

Are their any documents to suggest she stayed in VDL, married, died or came back to England.

Fay

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
The final entry in her conduct record I think can be interpreted as Cert (of freedom) Hobart July 26 1858, which is 14 years after her 1844 sentencing

M :)

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 17 23:31 GMT (UK) »

I am really sorry to keep asking questions but does this mean despite TOL being granted then revoked, then granted she was actually released and freed from her sentence in 1858.

Fay

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 February 17 23:42 GMT (UK) »

In the remarks section of Harriet's record there is mention of an illegitimate child named Robert on 4th May 1849 at the Cascade Factory!

Gerry