Author Topic: Where did they live? LEACH  (Read 1425 times)

Offline seasider53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Where did they live? LEACH
« on: Saturday 25 February 17 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Evening, I am trying to find out where the following lived in Cambridge.  If you are able to point me in the right direction please.
1.  Barnet LEACH , 1st master cook at Trinity - 1734-1792 (my 5x grt grandfather)
2.  Barnet LEACH, Master joiner - 1695 - 1737 (my 6x grt grandfather)
3.  Frances LEACH, death cert shows Thompsons Lane, no number (my 4x grt grandmother)

I really want to have the details to visit where they lived.  I live 13 miles from Cambridge but am a Lancashire lass by birth.  Imagine my shock/delight when I discovered I have roots in beautiful Cambridge.
Leach/Prigg - Cambridge
Draper/Munford - Norfolk
Nicholas/Donlan/Thurston/Leach - India
Harrison/Cunningham - Durham
Caine/Harrison - Ireland

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where did they live? LEACH
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
I don't know where they lived, but Barnett Leach 1734-1792 was baptised at St Andrew the Great church 25/8/1734. So you could visit the church. Frances's maiden name was Lee according to online trees. Barnett and Frances's son Barnett was baptised 13/9/1765. There was a Barnett Leach who married a Margaret Hopkins 24/9/1787 at St Edwards church, and a Barnett Leach was buried 11/1/1814 could be one of yours as it is an unusual Christian name-St Mary the Great church. Might find a gravestone there-he was 50 years old when he died.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 June 17 08:13 BST (UK) »
The earliest address I have is Magdalen Street, which as that's likely to be the Pickerel Inn, will probably be as far as I get once I get round to going to Cambridge

Other important addresses for later generations seem to be Bridge Street, Maid's Causeway and Market Hill and then you get to the workshops at City Road

According to http://davidparrhouse.org/category/the-leach-family/the-barnett-leaches/ the earliest sighting is the Archers Inn in St Andrew's Lane in 1675 but I haven't seen that yet

As paco says, the Leaches are based at St Andrew's the Great to start with, have stints in St Botolph's and St Edwards before settling in St Mary the Great

I have the Lees starting off at St Benedicts before moving to All Saints

Richard Hopkins the brawn manufacturer and brewer I have based at Trumpington Street

Finally, there's a suggested trail at http://davidparrhouse.org/trails/ which at first glance, looks to be mainly church based
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 June 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
The Lancaster Gazette, 11 Nov 1826, published a
"POETICAL ADDRESS TO MR BARNETT LEACH, the celebrated cook of Trinity College, Cambridge,
BRYAN WALLER
(the 1801 refers to the date poem was written)

It includes the lines -
"For Europe's fate, as well as thine,
Oft turns upon a pivot*"

and a footnote -
* He had an artificial leg

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 08:11 BST (UK) »
Back to the Hopkinses

Offices of the Brawn manufacturing & distribution empire were in Slaughterhouse Lane

Residence was 49 Pembroke Place, Trumpington Street, which sounds rather swish if you look at the Auction of the effects of the late Mrs Hopkins in 1843
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE