Author Topic: Boucaut family of Adelaide and Emma Jeffrey x 2  (Read 469 times)

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
Boucaut family of Adelaide and Emma Jeffrey x 2
« on: Sunday 26 February 17 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Emma JEFFREY married James BEST at Sandford, Victoria on 12 March 1890.

The marriage certificate says that Emma was born in Adelaide and that her father was [blank] JEFFREY with an asterix to other information that said 'christian name & occupation unknown' and her mother was Emma BOUCAUT.

Three likely South Australian birth indexes were found;
1. Emma J BOACOUT [sic] b. 12 Nov 1855 to Ray BOACOUT and Emma NOT page 253 vol 5
2. Emma JEFFREY b. 1 Dec 1855 to Ray Barton BOUCAUT and Emma JEFFREY page 254 vol 5
3. Emma Jeffrey BOUCAUT b. 1 Dec 1855 to Ray Barton BOUCAUT and Emma JEFFREY page 254 vol 5

I purchased transcriptions of the first and third certificates (see below)
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Boucaut family of Adelaide and Emma Jeffrey x 2
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 17 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Having trouble but will try again...

The other transcription I purchased
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Boucaut family of Adelaide and Emma Jeffrey x 2
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 17 03:13 GMT (UK) »
So it appears to me that Emma JEFFREY who married James BEST was the illegitimate daughter of Ray BOUCAUT and Emma JEFFREY.

Found a burial on A that has Emma JEFFREY died 27 Jun 1856 Adelaide and buried West Terrace Cemetery Adelaide.  I was hoping to purchase the certificate for this but couldn't find where to...  Any help with that, and whether there would be useful information on it would be welcome  :)

Researching the BOUCAUT family I found they were pretty heavy hitters in the early days of South Australia.  There was no Ray Barton BOUCAUT but there was Ray Parkin BOUCAUT.  The link below is to an article his brother wrote about the family.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/54823005?searchTerm=%22Ray%20Parkin%20Boucaut%22&searchLimits=l-decade=192|||l-year=1926|||l-month=11

Ray Parkin BOUCAUT married 7 Jan 1863 in Adelaide to Charlotte Dover.  They had a family.  At one stage he and his family (according to online family trees) were living in Naracoorte.  What's interesting about this is that Emma JEFFREY's usual address on her marriage certificate was Naracoorte.  Her occupation was a housemaid.  Had she been raised in her father's household after her mother's death?  Was this how she knew the BOUCAUT name was in her family history but not her father's name?  And is it possible to ever know? 

Any help or advice would be fantastic thank you!

Marlene
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)