Author Topic: Peter Alfred Mulligan  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Eric Baker

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Alfred Mulligan
« on: Sunday 26 February 17 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello, my name is Eric Baker and I am from Ohio in the US. I am currently doing research on my family tree. I am having a lot of trouble trying to track down information on my Great Great Grandfather. His name is Peter Alfred Mulligan he was born either February 13 1868 or February 13 1874. He was born in Castleblayney, Monaghan Ireland. I am not able to provide you with his parents names. I believe he may have a half sister by the name of Mary Anne Mulligan-Potts. I believe he came to the US 1885 to 1890. He married a women by the name of Elizabeth Hall and they had three kids Philomenia, Mary (Maime) and John Frances.
As I mentioned I do not know his parents names. I also don't know when Peter died.
If anyone could help I would be very grateful. This has been a very long and tedious adventure with very little information. It is as though he just disappeared from the world.
Respectfully,
Eric Baker

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Alfred Mulligan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 17 08:54 GMT (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to find a birth or baptismal record for Peter Alfred Mulligan in Castleblayney, Monaghan?

According to familysearch.org, there are four Peter Mulligans in Castleblayney around that time:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jl3/

1) Peter Mulligan born 21 September 1866 to Peter Mulligan and Mary Kernan;

2) Peter Mulligan born 20 April 1868 to Francis Mulligan and Mary McKenna;

3) Peter Mulligan born 15 September 1870 to Patrick Mulligan and Alice McCrahan

4) Peter Mulligan born 4 February 1877 to John Mulligan and Catherine McNally.

At age 11, the last one could have been too young to immigrate to the States in 1888

There are other Peter Mulligans who were born in Monaghan around the same time period, some of whom are repeated from the above list, but here I have listed the ones who were born in Castleblayney. 

I suspect his date of birth will need to be further checked...

The 1910 US Federal Census says he was naturalized in 1890. I wonder if we could find his naturalization certificate, as it might give us further leads (maybe even the parents' names).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 17 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Castleblayney Catholic Parish records online (free) -
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0294

No reason he couldn't have gone to America when 11 years old- perhaps with parents or other relative.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mike Critzer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 March 17 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Eric Baker, my second cousin once removed!  In the 1910 U.S. Census, our (great-)great grandfather Peter Alfred Mulligan was living in Philadelphia with his sister Mary and brother-in-law John J. Potts (plus their 5 kids!).  He listed his age in the 1910 Census as 42, which would make his birth year 1868.  His parents, then, would be Francis Mulligan and Mary McKenna, according to the birth records linked by other respondents to your question.

Trying to find this guy for me has been a series of assumptions and inferences from related documents, and I'm still not convinced that I've "got" him!

This guy pretty much lived "off the grid," I suspect, because he was not allowed to return "home" to his family.  His wife Elizabeth Hall Mulligan made him leave early on (maybe he had a drinking problem and/or couldn't keep a job), and even when he later returned and begged her, she wouldn't take him back.  At least, that is the family lore.

But let us persist in our search, Cousin!

Steven Good (aka Mike Critzer)