Author Topic: Disappearance of Margaret Fitzpatrick??  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Disappearance of Margaret Fitzpatrick??
« on: Sunday 26 February 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I'm trying to find out what happened to Margaret Fitzpatrick, born about 1857 in Prescot.  Her parents were Catherine Fitzpatrick (nee Duggan) and Thomas Fitzpatrick.  I have found her in the 1861 and 1871 censuses but she disappears after that.  The rest of her family appear in the 1881 census with Thomas Fitzpatrick listed as Head but there is also a mystery grandchild, Thomas Fitzpatrick.  I am speculating that this child could have been Margaret's as he did not belong to her elder brother James nor her younger sister Julia (I have proof of this).  I'm wondering if she died between 1871 and 1881 but I can't find a death record.
Might I point out that her elder brother James married a woman named Margaret Black to avoid any confusion; Margaret Black died as Margaret Fitzpatrick in 1881.  Also, there was a Margaret Fitzpatrick that I found in 1881 in Liverpool but it is not the woman I'm looking for as it states that she was born in Liverpool; she was definitely born in Prescot.
I hope that someone can help!

Thank you

Borderslass  :)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Disappearance of Margaret Fitzpatrick??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 17 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Lancs opc has the burial in Prescot 8 June 1881 for a Margaret Fitzpatrick aged 28 which gives a birth year of 1853. otherwise, like you, I can't find her anywhere.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, that is the wrong Margaret Fitzpatrick; that individual was the wife of James Fitzpatrick, the person in question's elder brother.
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Soory. Should have read your first post properly!

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
but there is also a mystery grandchild, Thomas Fitzpatrick.

Maybe the birth for him would help in some way, at least confirm if your Margaret was his mother.

No mothers maiden name on the birth registration but there were other siblings who could have been his mother  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline jvy20

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 17 15:27 GMT (UK) »
The only birth reg that I can find for a Thomas Fitzpatrick with mother's maiden name also Fitzpatrick is Q1 1874 Liverpool. Vol 8b page 26. Does this birth reg tie up with what you have for the mystery grandchild on the census ?

John
Census Information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 February 17 15:35 GMT (UK) »
There is this marriage in St Helens which might be your Margaret?

7 Oct 1882    Margaretam   FITZPATRICK   Michaelem   ROCK   St Mary's (Lowe House) RC
December Qtr 1882 Prescot  8b 1094

Having said that, the only Margaret Rock married to a Michael that I can find in the 1891c is at 31 Atherton St, Windle, St Helens and the record has been transcribed as 'Roch'.  Unfortunately, it shows that this Margaret is 29 and from Queens County, Ireland.  So doesn't look like yours anyway.

I can't see a death for Margaret Rock between 1882-1891.

Will keep looking.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kit, I appreciate you help as well as the help of the rest of you.  It's quite a tricky one, isn't it?  I think that I'll have to get the grandson, Thomas Fitzpatrick's birth certificate.  I did find his army records and he did marry; I also found his death certificate attached and he was in the 1939 register.  On his army records, he lists his next of kin as his Aunt Julia Fitzpatrick (he was in the army in the late 1800s as well as WW1 which was of some help).  This is what is leading me to assume his mother may have been Margaret and that she may have died.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 February 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
With a birth of 1857 she may well have married by 1881. 

Lancashire BMD lists 14 'Margaret Fitzpatrick' marriages between 1875 and 1881, so rather than buy all of the certificates it may be worth placing an order with the GRO but stating you don't know the GRO reference and stipulating that the father's name must be Thomas.  If you give (say) 1878 as the year, they will search two one year either side.

Edit: Oops just realised you also need to give place of marriage.  Still doable though, but may take a few attempts.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.