Author Topic: WW2. Service in Egypt and also army pay scale  (Read 612 times)

Offline Jennarembailey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2. Service in Egypt and also army pay scale
« on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Our father was in Iraq and then Egypt on the following dates but I can't find which if any battles were being fought at that time and where.
He was a Pte. A trained light anti-Aircraft gunner on the Bofor guns, with the 243/46th.

He embarked uk for Iraq 23.01.43 with the Persia and Iraq Force,  Disembarked Iraq 31.03.43.
left on 26.04.43. I gather Iraq was just settling down at this time and possibly he wasn't needed there, but his records don't say.
Transferred to the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, disembarked Egypt 27.04.43 until 08.09.44.
Whilst in Egypt on the 25.8.1944 he transferred to the 1st East Surrey Regiment.
I can't find what he did for 15 months in this area, he did mention swimming in the Dead Sea whilst in the Middle East.
I am also keen to know what his pay scale would have been during WW2, he did get WPP at the end of his training in November 1941 a generous 6d per day, but his records don't state his regular pay.
Looked for web sites showing WW2 British army pay scales but a bit scarce and only showed officers pay.
Blenkinsopp: Whickham & Co Durham
Leaton: Co Durham & Northumberland
Blenkinsopp Leaton: Co Durham & Northumberland & London.
Powell: London & Surrey
Vincent: St Oysth & London
Buckfield: Sutton Surrey & London,

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: WW2. Service in Egypt and also army pay scale
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:18 GMT (UK) »
April 1943 was the tail end of the N African campaign (Tunisia). Odd thing is 1 E Surreys were then in 11 Inf Bde, 78 Infantry Division Sicily and Italy. Presumably your father was detached in Egypt for whatever reason.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Jennarembailey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Dear Regorian
Thank you.
He wasn't transferred to the East Surrey until August 1944, when he went to Italy with them to the
Appennines and River Po.
It's the 15 months he spent in the area of Middle East that I can't find any records for his time between April 1943 until he joined East Surrey as above. Then Seems it could only have been peacekeeping. But again I can't find which areas the 243/46th were in.
He said they meet Monty at one point, but the mind boggles as to the circumstances.
Regards Jenny

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 17 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Not 'peacekeeping', Egypt was a British colony and base for Middle East Command. We dominated the whole area, Iraq, Palestine and Persia. Possibly Syria too although we may have left that in French hands. How the mighty have fallen and in such a short time.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 February 17 10:01 GMT (UK) »
The only official document I have been able to find (with help from another forum) is from 1925 when a new rate of pay came in giving a private soldier class lll (lowest paid) 4 shillings and 3 pence a day (7 days a week) so £1 9s 9d a week (£1.45 ish).  Another document quoted £55 a year.  This is from a debate in Parliament in 1940 "The rates of pay in the British Army range from 2s. to 6s. 3d. a day in the case of a private, 3s. 3d. to 6s. 6d. a day in the case of a lance-corporal, 4s. to 7s. 3d. a day in the case of a corporal, and 6s. to 8s. 9d. a day in the case of a serjeant.
The subject is bedevilled by different rates for different trade classifications, length of service and with or without deductions so I'd suggest taking a mean of about 4 shillings a day basic (20p) would be good enough for most purposes. A soldier also had his food and accommodation provided so that should be factored in when comparing it to civilians.  An agricultural labourer's wage in 1940 was of the order of £2.40 a week.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jennarembailey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 February 17 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Dear Regorian
Thank you, I agree the mighty have fallen a long way we are just a tiny island nation now, but with lots of friends and doing ok for ourselves, let's hope the future carries on as OK.
regards Jenny

Dear Max
Thank you for the reply to Payscale... I found a number of soldiers on the BBC archive of soldiers lives and each one had quoted a different pay, I shall assume as you say that 4 shillings per day was JIM'S salary + the 3d per diem he was awarded for qualifying as a gunner.
Also thank you for your help on previous questions.
Regards Jenny