Author Topic: Abercych Forge Cych  (Read 2047 times)

Offline momo42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abercych Forge Cych
« on: Sunday 26 February 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if someone could help.  Margaret Jones, my G grandmother's birth certificate says she was born in 1849 at Forge Cych, Manordivy.  Doing some research I find that this is actually in Abercych. 

Her parents lived at Aberdwylan, Dolbryn hamlet, Cenarth and most of her siblings were born there.  I have wondered why Margaret was born at Forge Cych.

Looking on the 1851 census [the one nearest to Margaret's birth ] it looks as if  Forge Cych is a collection of small houses next to each other mainly inhabited by paupers and pensioners.  Hannah's maiden name was Evans  but I cannot find any link to Evans in the list of residents. 
The only other clue maybe that at Forge Cych Mill there is a David Evans as Miller. 

Now Hannah was born at Cenarth Mill in 1816 as her father, John was the Miller there. I can only trace two siblings for Hannah, John b. 1821 and Esther b. 1811.   
David  b. 1806 actually may be a bit old to be Hannah's brother and it looks as though he was born in Brongwyn ..... and the birth certificate does not say Forge Cych Mill just Forge Cych. 

Can anyone link Hannah to David Evans at the Mill?  Or any suggestions about Forge Cych.  Would really appreciate any help.   Thank you
Morecroft, Evans, Phillips, Dutton

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Abercych Forge Cych
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 17 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi momo
have you seen the online will (1845) for John Evans of Kenarth Mill where he leaves all to his wife Anna
http://hdl.handle.net/10107/932372
Also the subsequent will of Anna (1853) which has lots of information about her children
http://hdl.handle.net/10107/409864
Sons, John and Evan
Daughters, Esther, Sarah, Eleanor, Corbeth and Anna

Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline momo42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
That is fantastic.  Thank you Mar.
I did try to find a will for John on the NLW site but perhaps I was doing somethimg wrong as nothing came up.  How marvellous - i can now enjoy myself filling in the gaps! 
Thank you so much.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 17 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I can't see Hannah mentioned in the will of her mother, I wonder why ? (am I correct in assuming that John and Anna are Hannah's parents)
Mar
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline momo42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 February 17 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Just had chance to go through the documents.  Fascinating.  Yes John and Anna are Hannah's parents.  But she is in the will but called Anna - wife of Henry Jones . 
I am having trouble trying to decipher the places mentioned in Anna's will.  And even more trouble finding them!   None of them mean anything to me.  But if they are just farms then they will  not be on any maps I suppose. 
But thanks for your help.   

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 February 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
momo
I read the other places listed in Anna's will as
Llain Frongoch in the parish of Blaenporth
Llain Kefen Goetre in the parish of Llandugwydd (probably Llandygwydd) in the county of Cardigan

Spellings may be phonetic, especially Kefen ?

Mar
Surname Interests

Offline momo42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes i agree with those names but I can find them as yet.  I did think a C could be used instead of a K   As in the village. Early census used Kenarth and it gradually changed to Cenarth.
But that still leaves me wondering about Kefengarfog?  I am assuming that was a house name?  Or a farm possibly.   It was mentioned in John's will as well as Anna's.
Continue with the search....  !
Best wishes
Momo

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 21:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if you are aware of the Cynefin project which is transcribing and geo-referencing old tithe maps. http://cynefin.archiveswales.org.uk/
I've had a look at the map and transcription for Cenarth (1840), to look for Kefengarfog.
There is a number of fields of land, all next to each other:
140 part of Cefnquarfoy (maybe)
142 Cefnguarfog
142a Cefnguarfoy
There is a building on the old tithe map - possibly old dwelling?
On a modern map they are located directly south east of Cenarth village and just above an area called Flat Wood
If you need more info about using Cynefin, please ask. You may need to subscribe. but it is part of the NLW and is free
Mar
Surname Interests

Offline momo42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 March 17 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mar. Just had time to really look at the Cynefin project. Its really interesting. I shall certainly try and do some transcribing when I have some time.  And looking at Cenarth like that so fascinating.
Thank you so much for your advice and help
  Much appreciated
Momo