Author Topic: John Peckham_Mary Angel Marriage and births  (Read 2200 times)

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Peckham_Mary Angel Marriage and births
« on: Monday 27 February 17 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I have been trying to find the wedding of John Peckham Maryand Mary Angel, and eventually found it on a site called subscription website, after failing in both Ancestry and Family Search.
The website  wanted money for more details, but I was surprised that I got nowhere with Family Search as they have bee fantastic recently.
What I found was the marriage in 1722 of John Peckham to Mary Angel, but of course I was hoping to find a bit more than that as I am unsure of when John was born, and I  know Mary was born in Lacock 1704?, so parents information would have been great. They married fcommoneor love only as John was a commoner [my GGGGrandfather] and she came from a wealthy family [and was renounced for any money]. Hope there is someone that can help.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Peckham_Mary Angel Marriage and births
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 17 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Per the Knightroots transcription she was Mary Angell "of Sopley"

http://www.knightroots.co.uk/transcriptions/Parishes_E/Ellingham/Marriages/marriages.htm

Someone else was researching this back in 2003: http://newsfeed.rootsweb.com/th/read/HAMPSHIRE/2003-09/1064085048
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
thanks

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 February 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
What I found was the marriage in 1722 of John Peckham to Mary Angel, but of course I was hoping to find a bit more than that as I am unsure of when John was born, and I  know Mary was born in Lacock 1704?, so parents information would have been great. They married fcommoneor love only as John was a commoner [my GGGGrandfather] and she came from a wealthy family [and was renounced for any money]. Hope there is someone that can help.

I'm just wondering how you "know" that Mary Angel came from Lacock, as there isn't an obvious connection between there and the Ringwood area. Your suggestion implies that she married at about age 18, which should have needed parental consent, though of course if she eloped she might also have pretended to be older than she was. To demonstrate that she was part of the Lacock family but had been cut off by them, you'd really need to find a will or other evidence to say that they knew she was the wife of John Peckham (but weren't giving her anything).

If you're sure the Ellingham marriage is the correct one, before jumping to conclusions about Lacock it might be worth checking other possibilities nearer at hand. For example, from FamilySearch, a Mary Angell was baptised in Ringwood in 1701. (This is from a film of someone's typed transcript, so obviously it would be important to check the original register.) If nothing else, it would be wise to look into this Mary to see if you can exclude her from the 1722 marriage.

FamilySearch has lots of other possibilities too, but that one seemed to be the closest - and of course, it isn't a complete record of all births/baptisms. Bear in mind too that for some reason, even if you don't specify exact matches only, FamilySearch seems to treat Angel and Angell as separate names, so searching for one won't find the other.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 February 17 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Splottboy,

I have moved your post to Hampshire as it had been posted in the wrong place on RootsChat, if this is not the correct county please let me know and I can move it to the correct place.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 February 17 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Ref: Reply #3
Many thanks Arthur, I will do some further investigation as you suggest.
Some of this information was originally given to me by Betty Sunley and Tom Millar, over 20 years ago. There was a huge fortune involved with all of this and it appeared on a British Television show "Find a Fortune" many years go. The Angell family owned a huge property that went right through Islington London.
Thanks for your help.
Colin

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 17 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Reply #4
Many thanks for doing that for me...

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Ref: Reply #3
Hi Arthur,
I read your message late last night here in Australia, and after a good sleep am digesting it further. After looking at my written record, which was a copy of a another written record 20 years ago, I see that I had Mary Angel recorded as"John Peckham bc 1702 married 1722 to Mary Angel of Sopley" ... so no date of birth for Mary, but of Sopley, so I really must check out that other Mary ???
Thanks again.
perhaps when I heard of that Fortune I got carried away ??
Colin

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 11:36 GMT (UK) »
perhaps when I heard of that Fortune I got carried away ??
Colin

Easily done  ;) Anyway, happy to help.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk