Author Topic: John Peckham_Mary Angel Marriage and births  (Read 2213 times)

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Peckham_Mary Angel Marriage and births
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 March 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone knew on any earlier books than this one of The Ripley Meeting House ?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Peckham_Mary Angel Marriage and births
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
No I don't think there will be anything earlier. I tried googling for "Ripley Meeting House Sopley Hants" (without quotes) and the first result was an article about the history of the meeting house: http://royhodges.co.uk/Ripley%20Church.pdf  It appears to have been built in 1822, but it also mentions baptisms and burials from 1829. The article mentions independent ministers from Christchurch and Ringwood, so maybe some Ripley people would be found in earlier registers in one or both of those places?

However, I don't know the area or the distances involved, and for burials at least, anyone living in Ripley, even if of an independent/congregationalist persuasion, would have been entitled to be buried at the local parish church in Sopley.

Google also found me another thread that you started here a few days ago in which you asked about marriage registers. In the 1820s marriages could only take place in the Church of England, or Quaker or Jewish places of worship, so the Meeting House won't have any marriage registers to look for at that date.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk