Author Topic: John Peckham_Mary Angel Marriage and births  (Read 2210 times)

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Peckham_Mary Angel Marriage and births
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 08:22 GMT (UK) »
ref: Reply #8
Hi Arthur, and thanks for helping me back on the right path.
I have re-looked at everything with the new Mary Angell, but still cant find a marriage.
So recapping.
Marriage of:
John Peckham 1702-1777 to Mary Angel 1702-1737
Father of John is Richard 1669 Ringwood
Siblings:
Betty, Jone 1699, William 1699, Richard 1700, Mary 1702, Henry 1703, Joseph 1703, Christen 1707.
Children:
Hannah 1741, John 1724-1791, Mary Angel Peckham 1729, Henry 1740-181, Philip 1743-1829, Ann 1750-1841.
I suppose its possible that they didnt get married ?
I was also trying to get an idea of exactly where in Ringwood on a census that Richard of John lived.
For your interest many years ago I found an Aaron Peckham convict sent to Australia on the second fleet after stealing a horse, and there's losts of infornation in Australia on convicts, and people in the main are proud to have a convict as an ancestor. I happened to find Aaron today, father of a John Peckham and am wondering if its the John bp 1673 Ringwood and brother of Richard bp 1669 Ringwood in my family tree ?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Before going any further, I ought to say that I'm not at all familiar with Hampshire records. The only reason I got into this thread was because it started off on a different board, which I happen to subscribe to, so I can only offer fairly general observations, and I hope there may be some Hampshire experts who can give better advice.

ref: Reply #8
Hi Arthur, and thanks for helping me back on the right path.
I have re-looked at everything with the new Mary Angell, but still cant find a marriage.
So recapping.
Marriage of:
John Peckham 1702-1777 to Mary Angel 1702-1737
If you can't find any other marriage for the Mary Angell bapt. Ringwood 1701 (see reply #3), that makes her quite a strong candidate for the 1722 marriage in Ellingham. To confirm that you'll need to look for things like wills from the Ringwood Angell family which might refer to her in her married name, or memorials - is she buried with other members of her birth family? Was the marriage by banns or licence? If by licence, the paperwork might give her father's name.

Father of John is Richard 1669 Ringwood
Siblings:
Betty, Jone 1699, William 1699, Richard 1700, Mary 1702, Henry 1703, Joseph 1703, Christen 1707.
Children:
Hannah 1741, John 1724-1791, Mary Angel Peckham 1729, Henry 1740-181, Philip 1743-1829, Ann 1750-1841.
OK, John Peckham might be fairly easy to trace, but if all those children are his, it may be a bit of a stretch to attribute them all to Mary Angell. First, they span 26 years, and second, you gave her death as 1737  :o (Or is that a typo?)

I suppose its possible that they didnt get married ?
Not sure what you mean by this, given that we started with the marriage, which you thought was correct.

I was also trying to get an idea of exactly where in Ringwood on a census that Richard of John lived.
For your interest many years ago I found an Aaron Peckham convict sent to Australia on the second fleet after stealing a horse, and there's losts of infornation in Australia on convicts, and people in the main are proud to have a convict as an ancestor. I happened to find Aaron today, father of a John Peckham and am wondering if its the John bp 1673 Ringwood and brother of Richard bp 1669 Ringwood in my family tree?
This is too early for censuses. The earliest one to give useful information is 1841, though there are a few survivals from 1821 and 1831 which give heads and sizes of households. For earlier periods there are sometimes things like churchwardens' accounts and manor records, but this varies greatly from one place to another. This is really the sort of question you need a local expert for.

It might just be a coincidence about finding another Aaron Peckham, but it could be worth investigating. I don't have convict connections myself, but I've occasionally seen some of the papers, and I think they normally give details of the next of kin in England. That really needs to be your starting point, to see where the trail goes back to.

As well as that, one approach that I've found helpful is to get every possible parish register entry for a given surname (plus variants) in the parish(es) of interest, plus other evidence such as wills and memorial inscriptions, and try to sort them into families. That way you can see better who belongs where, who lived where, and so on, which helps to avoid making connections where they shouldn't be.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, death as 1737 is a typo, as its 1779.

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, I am going to check the convict record of Aaron again, so many thanks for that suggestion.

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 March 17 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Reference:
Reply #3 on: Monday 27 February 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arthur,
I have been looking and checking via Family Search an Ancestry, and could find the marriage, but also couldnt find the marriage of Mary AngelL from Ringwood, so it still points back to a marriage in Ellingham, but agree it doesnt see to add up, as the Peckham Family were in Ringwood for many years
Colin

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 March 17 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Given the lack of other likely baptisms for the Mary Angell who married in 1722, and marriages or burials for the one baptised in Ringwood in 1701, it's looking more probable that they are one and the same.

At this stage I think I'd want to track down images of the parish registers, or at least transcriptions that you can rely on as accurate and word-for-word, to see if there are any more clues. For example, although it's likely that Mary's family were living in Ringwood when she was baptised there in 1701, it's not necessarily the case. There might also be hints in other Angel(l) register entries from parishes round there. And as I mentioned before, wills and memorial inscriptions can help too.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 March 17 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Reply #14
Thanks Arthur, I will look into Parish Registers...
I did check wills of John Angel father of Mary to see if there was anything about her, but nothing so far.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 March 17 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Try looking for other Angel(l) wills too - people with no children of their own sometimes give long and useful lists of nieces and nephews. And someone elderly whose own children were already reasonably well off might make legacies to their grandchildren.

Offline splottboy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 March 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Reply #16
Thanks Arthur.
I will keep trying.
I just found one around the same time that owned 50 acres, but up to this time its been all hard working labourers. Mary Angell would have come from an extremely wealthy family, but was disowned, so the rumour goes. There was a programme on British television "Find a Fortune" about the Angel Fortune.