Author Topic: Missing WW1 Medals  (Read 5252 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Missing WW1 Medals
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 March 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Justin,

The medals that I am trying to locate are for distant ancestors of mine. They have not been lost or stolen. As far as I can ascertain they would have been received by the family in the normal way at the end of the war.
There are now no direct living descendants so I am assuming that they have been possibly sold or just auctioned off or given away.
Thanks
Paul

Paul

You will never locate any Awarded Medals unless they were actually issued in the first place.

You should contact the Ministry of Defence and be able to find information via the gov.uk website, regarding issues and if WW 1 can still be issued.

WW2
However, you will need to prove that you are a direct line ancestor first and follow a set sequence in order of the person whose medal it was first, then next closest relative usually a spouse, then usually up or down the direct line laid down by the MoD and if you can prove that all those in the set order before your entitlement to apply, are dead with Death Certificates, then you might be able to apply for unissued medals.

You will need to ensure that you know every relative born and their offspring and spouses are all dead. This can be extremely tricky as some know nothing about living relatives according to TV program 'Heir Hunters'.

The gov.uk site had several pdfs about this for WW2 and I should see what their policy is regarding WW1.

Regards Mark

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 March 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys for all the responses and some really good ideas that I will follow up on.
I will contact the MOD as well as look into the idea of purchasing replicas.
I will try a few of the social media groups as well, you never know might strike lucky.
Thanks again for some really good ideas.
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 March 17 22:34 GMT (UK) »
A mention of replicas towards the bottom of this page:
http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/british-ww1-medal-records.htm

NOK can apply for unclaimed WW2 medals. WW1medals can no longer be issued even if they were never claimed.

Contact Imjin Barracks https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-veterans-badge/apply-for-a-veterans-badge to enquire about medal entitlement, claims etc.

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 March 17 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Keep in mind a lot of soldiers threw their medals away or sold them as scrap in disgust of how they were treated once returning home.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 March 17 08:47 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for the info on WW1 Medals Ruskie.

Looks like I couldn't get replicas of my late Father's Medals then... A shame, - I would have particularly liked his silver war badge, issued when he was invalided out of the RNR after a head wound.

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 March 17 11:22 GMT (UK) »

........................... I would have particularly liked his silver war badge, issued when he was invalided out of the RNR after a head wound.

Cheers, Romilly.

Hi Romilly  :) if you know the number of your fathers SWB you could try the facebook forum mentioned in my reply #8, just put the number into the search bar at the top of the forum page.

Regards always

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 March 17 11:56 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Frank. Would the number be on the Medal Roll Entry, do you know?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 March 17 12:12 GMT (UK) »
If you do an internet search on "WW1 Replica Medals" you'll find a few firms offering this service.

I did this for a friend, and got replicas of his father's medals. 1 set full size; 1 set of miniatures.
I used Mess Dress (www.messdress.com) but there are others.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 March 17 12:32 GMT (UK) »
If you do an internet search on "WW1 Replica Medals" you'll find a few firms offering this service.

I did this for a friend, and got replicas of his father's medals. 1 set full size; 1 set of miniatures.
I used Mess Dress (www.messdress.com) but there are others.

I read that some are better quality than others. Were you pleased with those from Mess Dress KGarrad? (I ask as we occasionally see requests about replicas and it would be nice to be able to give a recommendation).  :)