Author Topic: Merchant Navy Records  (Read 1204 times)

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Merchant Navy Records
« on: Monday 27 February 17 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I have just found a record from National archives Relating to Thomas Smith not sure if its my man RS2 no  808025 Mercantile Marine Ribbon, British Marine Medal issued 4 Feb 1920 ,
124 Wellington street Samuel Thomas or Thomas Samuel Smith was Ships cook /Steward who partnered Elizabeth Norris not sure if they married They had two daughters and still born son Wife died in child birth 1901 Daughters were adopted by Thomas Derbyshire and lived in Cwnfellinfach

He was born Liverpool Not sure of exact date served on SS Anglo Saxon Can I find out more about him by the RS2 no

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Do you know the year he served on ANGLO SAXON? If you have got the year, you can then consult the ships crew agreement and if he is included it should give you his home address date and place of birth, Next of Kin, previous ship and importantly his discharge A number, which is unique to him.
RS2 would suggest he may have been a member of the Royal Naval Reserve. Can you give us the National Archives piece number from which you found the information you have?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 17 18:51 GMT (UK) »
RS2 would suggest he may have been a member of the Royal Naval Reserve. ?

That will be the RV2 number SW. The RS2 number is his ID number introduced in 1918.
The RS2 will not be much use in finding a seaman although in the early days you sometimes saw the RS2 number written in the Crew Agreement where you would normally see the Dis.A number - not very common though.
Regards
Hugh 
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 February 17 23:26 GMT (UK) »
 Believe him to be on Holmeside aged 54 in 1908, address 42 Croft St Cardiff say previously serving on Gloxinia as Ships Cook and being from Liverpool

Again on Holmsside in 1909 as ships  cook aged 55 from  Liverpool  One of relatives thought he served on Anglo Saxon not sure of year Where can I look all this up Thanks your help

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 February 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Another number on form from National Archives Cert or Dis.A 831706

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification Hugh.
No Central index of Merchant Seamen was kept between 1857 and 1913. The records for the period of the first world war, have been destroyed. The only thing we have to go on for these years are crew agreements.
There are some crew agreements on the pay to view site Find my Past but the vast majority are stored at Memorial University of Newfoundland Maritime History Archive.
As well as his common name the other problem we have is that there were two vessels around in 1908/1909 with similar names. HOLMESIDE official number 112450 and HOLMSIDE o/n 101826.
If I were you I would concentrate on the vessel with the o/n 112450. If we cannot find him on the crew agreements for 1908/1909 then we have the other to fall back on.
You can obtain copies from MUN but I think you would do better to use their excellent research department and ask if they can find him sometime in 1908/1909. I think they charge $40 Canadian (£24/£25) per hour.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=112450

Try and get the year he was a board ANGLO SAXON also can you give us the reference number for the information you obtained from TNA.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Try and get the year he was a board ANGLO SAXON also can you give us the reference number for the information you obtained from TNA.

Yes, I agree with this, we need a bit more. For example I have found a CR2 card for the seaman bearing that Dis. A number born Lancashire but in 1882. That doesn't tie in with the age you have posted for T Smith in 1908/9. That card dob may be incorrect of course, I don't know, as I cannot view it. It is available on the pay site FindMyPast.

As said the file information you have could help move this one on.

Regards
Hugh

Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies Much appreciated Try and find out about the Anglo Saxon