Author Topic: BRACHER/JUKES marriage  (Read 521 times)

Offline Linus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BRACHER/JUKES marriage
« on: Tuesday 28 February 17 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

My GGG Grandfather George Bracher married Sarah Jukes on 11th May, 1815 in Upton Scudamore (Wilts).  Whilst I have a huge amount of information re George I know nothing of Sarah beyond the birth of her two sons and her death in Wincanton (Somerset) on the 9th Dec 1820.

FamilySearch has a Sarah Jukes born in Mere but this is not the right person.  Does anyone have suggestions where I might find more about Sarah, her parents and any siblings?

Thanks and Best from DownUnder 
Ian
Beaulock, Bracher, Bullock, Burgdorf, Burghard, Deans, Fryer, Hall, Hester, Hodgson, Hughes, Johnson

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BRACHER/JUKES marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »
I have found the following baptism

Sarah Jukes
Born 3 February 1795
Bapt 1 January 1815
Residence Salisbury
Place Upton Scudamore St Mary
Parents John and Sarah

Looks like she was baptised in order to be able to marry in church.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Ian,

While it looks as if you've already got a lead for your missing baptism, I thought I would post here anyway as I have a Bracher 'branch' in my tree, all in the village of Stourton.  I have two George Brachers: one 1758-1831 and the other 1734-1819.  Are either of these 'your' George?

Janey
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline Linus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Emelton & Janey,

I will respond to your posts in this one reply.  Firstly Emelton, your information finally resolved Sarah's parents and allowed me to move on...

So, whoopee doo ... back to FamilySearch where I find the following:

Sarah Jukes
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Birth: 3 February 1795
christening: 2 April 1795
HIGH STREET-INDEPENDENT, GOSPORT, HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND
Father: John Jukes
Mother: Sarah

Presumably this is our Sarah as the birth date matches with your Upton Scudamore record. The above is for a christening, but your record refers to a baptism. These days the words christening and baptism mean the same to most people; was there a significant difference at the end of the 18th century?  St Mary the Virgin in Upton Scudamore is, and presumably always has been Church of England. Would they not recognise an Independent Church christening?  And adding to the confusion, the event in Gosport is listed twice on FamilySearch – one shown as a christening, the other a baptism. Perhaps we will never know why they did it all again at Upton Scudamore. All that matters at the moment is that I can now move towards a better understanding of my Jukes ancestors.

Finally, are you able to give me a document reference that I can cite for this info?  And once again thanks heaps for your help.

Now Janey,

Sorry, no.  My George is 1794-1871 and spent most of his life in and around Salisbury. I don't have another George in his immediate ancestors, although he has a son, grandson and G grandson all named George. One of the problems I have had is that whilst "Bracher" is relatively uncommon George is quite the reverse.  I have been caught out a number of times following up a George B only to find he is the wrong one. Some of them are very interesting men.

Anyway, thanks for your post and all the best from a still very summery DownUnder.

Ian

Beaulock, Bracher, Bullock, Burgdorf, Burghard, Deans, Fryer, Hall, Hester, Hodgson, Hughes, Johnson

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Found this on Google

"Christening refers to the naming ceremony (to "christen" means to "give a name to") where as baptism is one of seven sacraments in the Catholic Church. In the sacrament of Baptism the baby's name is used and mentioned, however it is the rite of claiming the child for Christ and his Church that is celebrated."

It's possible that as the first Christening/baptism was in a nonconformist church and she wanted to marry in a Cof E church, the vicar made her go through another christening/baptism to conform with the rites of his church.

Emeltom

PS Have sent you a PM
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more