Author Topic: Lookup please ... Bristol marriage of John Warren, shoemaker and Margaret Burke  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please ... Bristol marriage of John Warren, shoemaker and Margaret Burke
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 April 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonelle!

I think you are probably my 6th cousin once removed!!

Thank you for all the information -   especially for giving the names of Simon and William's
parents.  William was as far back as I had been able to get.  Do you have any birth or death
dates for Robert and Amy?
Sadly the Warren name is now dying out on my branch of the family as Mark's son Richard's
descendants are all girls.

Thanks again
CG

Hey cousin CG,

I just noticed that you have just 3 posts to your name !! Welcome to Rootschat.  ;D

I'm glad to have helped you with the Warrens.  ;)

I have questions for you now about your William. Have you found his marriage? anything about his wife Ann, and were there any other earlier children, maybe baptised elsewhere for them, than John the shoemaker 1803 and William junior 1802?

Are you familiar with the area of Devon / Somerset border that the Warrens came from? Clayhidon and Churchstanton are in the Black Down Hills below the M5 and Taunton. Churchstanton is easy to research online but Clayhidon is hit and miss. Clayhidon is very important to solving the Warrens.

A previous vicar and churchwardens of that parish reclaimed and held onto the registers, away from Devon Records Office, until very recently, and so FindMyPast did not have them to photograph and transcribe when they did most of Devon. I have not found out when or if FindMyPast will be doing anything about this, but was told that they are now (safe again :-X) at DRO aka Devon Heritage Centre.

The Clayhidon local history group http://clayhidon.org/home probably has a digital or microfilm copy now. I did not had a nice time dealing with the chair back in 2015. Maybe it was me...

I have had email contact with another cousin of ours descended from the generation further back, amongst the of siblings of our common Robert Warren. This lady volunteers at Honiton's Allhallows Museum (which also has microfiche of Clayhidon), and has also worked out our rellies. ;D

I bought a copy of the fiche back in 2015 from DRO, and she and I have conferred and agree on the same tree, hehe  ;D

Because the younger Robert Warren that I descend from named Clayhidon as his birthplace in census, and came back from Brompton Regis to live at Callers farm when he "retired" at 60yrs, I googled "Robert Warren of Clayhidon" and come across the website for Devon Freeholders which helped me understand the origins of the Warrens
http://www.foda.org.uk/freeholders/QS7/56/hemyock.htm
... but I have not found Robert's baptism and so can not be 100% satisfied that he is the eldest son of my Simon.  :-\

With the Clayhidon registers on fiche it has been very simple to solve the Warrens, because they stay put back thru time to the first pages. Beautiful marvelous. So if you can view them at your leisure you can have the enormous fun of finding the baptism of your William and his siblings, and almost everyone else. If however you wish me to help you further with Clayhidon, send me a personal message and we will take it from there.

Salute,

Janelle

Offline jcichon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please ... Bristol marriage of John Warren, shoemaker and Margaret Burke
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 February 18 20:15 GMT (UK) »
I am new to rootschat - I found your information by google search.
Can you please tell me if you are talking about William Warren and Mary Hurford?  I am trying to find more information on their son Robert 1806-1884 married to Mary Ann Moore and their two sons Simon Warren (Elizabeth Hewish) and John Warren (Frances Baker) who I believe came from England and settled in Ohio.

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello jcichon !!

Welcome to Rootschat.

My apologies for not replying earlier, and for being brief now, but I will answer you when I get home from work and am free after dinner and the grocery shopping.

Salute,
Janelle

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello cjichon,

I hope you have a real first name to greet you with.

I have looked over your posting and am confused.

If you are researching William Warren and Mary Hurford, you can look for the baptisms of their children via the free websites like GenUKI,
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Churchstanton
for church records
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Churchstanton#ChurchRecords
and Roy Parkhouse
http://www.parkhouse.org.uk/

W and M don't have a son Robert. Only 2 sons -
John b 1829 the shoemaker of the subject line here, and
William b 1832 also referred to in the my post here dated 1 April 2017, replying to his descendant CG.

My Robert Warren married Mary Moore. This is well represented in several public Ancestry trees, and freely available from John Warren's death cert downloadable from familysearch.  ;)

W and M live all their lives in Churchstanton parish. So do other brothers and cousins. My Warrens moved away, to Upottery nearby and into Somerset. It is invaluable to Warren researchers to take note of the farms in Churchstanton that each family is at in the church records and censi
(that word looks too weird so I googled and one dictionary said it is OK to say censuses   :P ;D ;D)

It's also important to understand that Churchstanton was in Devon and is now Somerset. Old records are at Devon Heritage Centre, and later deposits are at Somerset HC. hmm maybe not such a problem now that Anc and FindMyPast have got lots of the stuff online. Just not quite everywhere or everything.

Are you asking about that William and Mary, or my Robert and Mary?

What is your connection?

The last line of the 2nd last paragraph of my post here dated 1 April 2017 is still my situation, Robert Warren is my brickwall.

I await your input so we can help each other.

Salute,
Janelle  (my real name  ;D)

Offline jcichon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 16:00 GMT (UK) »
I am so glad to find this site and to find you.  My name in Jackie and my great grandmother-Eva Warren was daughter to William Elliott Warren and Pheobe Shumaker (buried in Orwell/North Bloomfield, Ohio.)
William Warren's father is Simon Warren married to Elizabeth Ann Hewish.  That is confirmed in my Ohio records.
Now this is what I am confused on:

I have Simon's parents being Robert Warren and Mary Ann Moore.   Did they have a son name Simon?
Then notes state without birthdates that Robert's parents were William Warren and Mary Hurford.  but you have all ready told me that this is incorrect. 

I have never been to GenUKI - I will take time this weekend and check that site out.  Wonderful!

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 February 18 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jackie

Greeting cousin !!   ;)

No panic - your Simon definetly was the younger brother of my John. They also had a sister Elizabeth b 1825 Hemyock.

Let's clear up the confusion of Mary Hurford and William Warren.
William would have been a contemporary/cousin of Robert. They are of similar ages and location.
WW was born 1802 at Churchstanton, son of the elder Simon's brother William b 1762 Clayhidon.
WW and MH witness the marriage of Robert and Mary 1822 at Hemyock.
WW is William junior in the register when he marries MH 1823 Churchstanton.
Robert is without baptism proof of age or parents, but usually gives about 1801 at Hemyock, or Clayhidon, in the censuses.

Do you know of any written or oral history made by your Simon or my John about who their father's parents were?
You say ... "Then notes state without birthdates that Robert's parents were William Warren and Mary Hurford."
Is this statement old, part of your family's folklore, of pre computer era?

Enjoy your weekend browsing Devon and Somerset resources.

Salute,

Janelle

Offline jcichon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 February 18 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Your John died in 1910 in Huntsburg, Ohio - very close to where I grew up.   What was his birth date?

Now their parents are Robert Warren and Mary Ann Moore, correct?

Do you have any history on Mary Ann Moore's family?

Then is there any relationships with William and Mary (Hurford) Warren?
My research came from my great aunt, done by hand through Washington DC library.  It was a complete dead end for her.

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 February 18 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jackie,

Are your great aunt's notes and research saved digitally, are you able to share them with me, please.   :D 8)
RC has a private messaging system where contact details can be exchanged, so that things can be done by email, etc.  8) 8)
Click my name on the left of this post to get to where you can PM me easily.

I know you probable have lots to be going on with but ...

You have to let go of William W and Mary Hurford.
These guys don't connect to Robert Warren UNTIL evidence is found for his baptism or another source.
However, William W's father is a cousin to Francis Ann Baker's mother, because their fathers were brothers.

Mary Moore is never found with Ann in her name.
Her family were at Hemyock. The following link is for her marriage to RW in the transcriptions for that parish on a free site
https://ukga.org/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?action=ViewRec&DB=12&bookID=111&pagecount=188&submit=Next

If you browse that "book" you should be able to find all her family going back to generations.
And our John's baptism
https://ukga.org/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?action=ViewRec&DB=12&bookID=111&pagecount=137&submit=Previous

You can gets lots of John Warren facts from familysearch, including his death certificate which has a birthdate for him.

And I have previously had conversations with our mutual Cousin Brinda here on Rootschat, although she has not been active for ages
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=208864.msg5610198#msg5610198

I'll leave you in peace, burdened with yet more information.
Rome wasn't built in a day. I reckon its the same for building your tree.
I've been searching and researching for my Warrens online since 2011.
I am very careful to collect real evidence for every person and any event that affects them.

I very much look forward seeing your auntie's stuff.  :-X :D ;D 8)

Salute,

Janelle