Author Topic: ethel jane powell b 1882 Prees ,Shropshire  (Read 86 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ethel jane powell b 1882 Prees ,Shropshire
« on: Tuesday 28 February 17 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
Ethel Jane Powell b 1882 Prees ,Shrops - registered WEM ...
this lady was my Brother in Laws g grandmother .
his mother is approaching 80 and remembers visiting her nan when she was a child in Prees .
We live in Liverpool so we are not clued up on Prees .
we have checked on a map and it is just past Whitchurch = in the 1891 census Ethel Jane is 9 and living in Whitchurch Road ,Prees
father James
mother Mary
sister Lizzie aged 11
sister Elsie aged 4
I have come up with a marriage of James Powell to a Mary Porter registered 1879 Wem
can some kind person have a look for me and see if they can find a marriage of James Powell to Mary in the Prees area ....I think Mary Porter looks good - but I need other peoples thoughts please .
cheers :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ethel jane powell b 1882 Prees ,Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I have just found James Powell / Mary and Mary E Powell aged 1 in the 1881 census - same address as the 1891 census - I wonder if poor Mary E passed away by 1891 census.
Mary is born Millenheath ,Shropshire 1860 - what register office is used for Millenheath please ??
if I can find a Mary Porter b 1860 and registered Millenheath I may be able to confirm the maiden name of Ethel Jane Powells mother  :)
ADDED - Millenheath is within Prees area and there is a Mary Porter registered Jan -March 1861 ...so Mary Porter marriage is looking good
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 10:21 GMT (UK) »
POWELL, ETHEL  JANE     mother's maiden name PORTER     
 1882  M Quarter in WEM 
Volume 06A  Page 756

From the GRO site, so it looks as if you have the correct marriage.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 10:36 GMT (UK) »
POWELL, ETHEL  JANE     mother's maiden name PORTER     
 1882  M Quarter in WEM 
Volume 06A  Page 756

From the GRO site, so it looks as if you have the correct marriage.
Thankyou Groom - that's a big bonus
I have found Mary Porter in the 1861 census born  Prees aged 0 with father Stephen and mother Sarah - and Stepdaughter Jane Evans -( I presume this means Sarah had previously married an Evans ??)
other children are all Porter
Martha 6
George 5
Ellen 2
I need to find a marriage for Stephen and Sarah - 1850 - 1855
1853 in Prees ...Stephen Porter to Sarah Evans
Added
no other name on the form - so I wonder if Sarah Evans had Jane as a single woman ??
http://www.shropshirebmd.info/cgi/pma.cgi?date=1853&county=shropshire&reference=NS%3AC-NS24%2F1%2F293&file=P&pos=6891&area=SY&surname=PORTER&forename=Stephen&surname_1=EVANS&forename_1=Sarah&year=1853

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about that, the 1861 says Jane was born in Oswestry. The GRO site gives this birth with mother's maiden name Rogers.

EVANS, JANE       mmn ROGERS     
1852  M Quarter
OSWESTRY 
Volume 06A  Page 633
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Groom - I will research that marriage of Evans / Rogers :)