Author Topic: Immigration/Naturalization/Loyalty Oaths England 1745-1763  (Read 220 times)

Offline e_m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Immigration/Naturalization/Loyalty Oaths England 1745-1763
« on: Tuesday 28 February 17 13:04 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for two guys--carvers & guilders--to came to London from Paris sometime between 1745 and 1756. By 1763 both were in Philadelphia where they spent the rest of their lives and died. I am assuming they had naturalization papers or whatnot in London, as they did not sign Oaths of Allegiance or other documents when they arrived in Philadelphia or thereafter. Where would I look?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration/Naturalization/Loyalty Oaths England 1745-1763
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
This may be a useful starting point. Looks like there wouldn't have been naturalisation, but might have been denization; it also looks as if you'd need to go to Kew even to see the indexes!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/naturalisation-british-citizenship/

Oath rolls look as if they would be a bit hit-and-miss for your people:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/oaths-loyalty-crown-church-of-england/
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.