Author Topic: William Axe marriage and possible census error  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: William Axe marriage and possible census error
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the further information emeltom and Cast (stallc).

I've been researching William's siblings and he was one of at least 11. No wonder he moved, can't have been much room left in that house!
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Rabuser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 May 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
William did marry Dinah at Crowle in 1815. The family can be traced back in unbroken descent to 1639 in Mexborough; descendants of William exist also. Check out the family tree information on Ancestry under goughjane83 for example.
William Axe (1794-1847)
Birth:    19/10/1794   
Baptism:    30/10/1794, St Lawrence’s, Hatfield
Marriage:   8/7/1815, Crowle, to Diana Mell    
Death:   24/11/1847, Sandtoft
Burial:   26/11/1847, St Andrew’s, Epworth
Source:   Baptism record
Marriage record
Baptism record Ann Maria (1817); (George) 1819, (John) 1821, (Harriett) 1823, (William) 1835
Census records 1841
Poll Book Lindsey 1841
House of Commons - Report from Committees, 1843
Hull Packet 1844, 1847
Burial record
Kelly’s Directory 1855   
White’s Directory 1856

William was the son of John Axe and Elizabeth Watt. He was born and baptised in the same month, October 1794.

After banns, William married Diana Mell at the parish church of Crowle in July 1815. Both appear to be literate. The marriage record shows him as aged twenty and his wife as nineteen. Both were listed as of that parish. William’s evidence to the Commons Select Committee in 1843 stated that he had lived in Epworth since at least 1818 (see below). Prior to that, he and Dinah may have lived around Hatfield as their first daughter, Ann Maria, was baptised there in August 1817. William was listed as a blacksmith but his wife is given as Mary in the baptismal register, perhaps due to the entry directly above which is for the child of a William and Mary Lee.

William is listed as a blacksmith at the baptism of his son George in 1819. Diana’s name is written variously throughout her life. Here, the mother’s name is written as Diana; likewise with John’s baptism in 1821 but as Dinah in 1823 for Harriett’s. She is listed as Diana again at the baptism of their final child, William.

At the time of the 1841 census William and his family were living on High Street, Epworth. William was listed as a blacksmith. That same year William voted in the parliamentary elections. He was eligible as a copyholder and voted for two of the three candidates (Lord Worsley, Mr Christopher and the Hon. C H Cust) for the two positions to represent Lindsey in Parliament. William voted for the first two both of whom were returned. He was registered under Epworth.

Epworth was the subject of a report from the Select Committee of the House of Commons regarding a petition for the repeal of the Corn Laws. The original petition was presented on 9th May with a second 15th June complaining that the first was a forgery. William was called as a witness on 10th July 1843 and was questioned as to whether or not he had signed the petition or whether his young son William had signed it. He acknowledged that he could write in his own hand and answered “no” on both points. William stated that he was the blacksmith at Epworth and that he had a “situation” in Sandtoft so was not often in Epworth. He added that he had been a resident of Epworth for more than twenty-five years.

The following year, in August 1844, William was before the local court in Epworth accusing George Hague, of Belton, of assaulting him. He was described as an innkeeper of Sandtoft. The newspaper records that the case was postponed until the next meeting as there were no witnesses to the assault. There may be some irony in the event as William’s son, William, married a Hague from Belton in later years.

The Hull Packet records an obituary in 1847 and describes how an inquest found that William had died of apoplexy at his eldest son’s house after an argument with his younger son earlier in the day. His elder son is named as a blacksmith and the younger a wheelwright: presumably referring to George and John respectively. William was buried at St Andrew’s, Epworth, two days later.

William’s widow Dinah lived on for many years. By the time of the 1851 census she is listed as the innkeeper at the Rein Deer Inn, Belton, and also farming ten acres of land. In 1855 she is listed as residing at The Stag at Sandtoft and one year later she was listed both as a blacksmith and at the Rein Deer. She died in 1878 and was buried on 3rd February in Epworth parish.

Richard Axe
Axe (Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Derbyshire); Ludlam (Yorkshire); Rooke (Yorkshire, Derbyshire); Budgell (Somerset, Dorset, Canada); Tucker (Glamorgan, Pembroke).

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 June 17 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you so much for this. My apologies that it has taken me so long to reply to you, I've been away and unable to get online.

I'm really excited to share this information with my Mother in Law who is the Axe in my family tree.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Rabuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 November 17 18:43 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome. Interested to know the line of descent for your mother-in-law. I'm trying to keep up with the current Axe connections as well as working backwards and sideways.

Richard
Axe (Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Derbyshire); Ludlam (Yorkshire); Rooke (Yorkshire, Derbyshire); Budgell (Somerset, Dorset, Canada); Tucker (Glamorgan, Pembroke).

Offline axent

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 February 18 00:31 GMT (UK) »
William and Diana Mell are my 3rd great-grandparents