Author Topic: Horace Thomas Vincent Merchant Navy, WW2  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Re: Horace Thomas Vincent Merchant Navy, WW2
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 March 17 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you seaweed, I have sent a PM.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 March 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Convoys involving MACCLESFIELD
http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/ports/index.html?search.php?vessel=MACCLESFIELD~armain

Apart from the vessels movement card the only other way to seek more information of her wartime role is to look at her logbooks from late 1943 until the end of the war.
In all honesty I don't think the reward will be worth the effort. I could look at the logbooks pre 1941 to see what vessels he served on since he signed off HARTISMERE.
If you would like me to look, then it's no problem next time I visit Kew. Or are you happy with what you have?
I don't know if ANCESTRY has records of service for engineers. It may be worth enquiring.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 March 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Regarding his service in the Royal Navy he joined HMS PEMBROKE II  9th January - 6th March 1916, ERA IV = Engine Room Artificer IV Class. He spent the rest of the war mainly on the China Station aboard the sloop HMS CLIO. Her logbook is here: http://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-18-HMS_Clio.htm

I have also attached his medal file. He was awarded the Victory Medal and The British War Medal.

Regards
Hugh

Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 March 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Seaweed, what an interesting site.  I know what I will be doing this weekend, forget the Aussie GP. ;D
As an aside his wife died August 26 1942.  They had been travelling from Hull to Cornwall for a few days holiday when she fell off the train, believed to have opened the wrong door in the blackout.
If you have time then anything you can find out about him is welcome.  The one thing I don't have is next of kin after his wife died if you see it anywhere.
I will check Ancestry to see if there is any information on him.

Thank you HMac for the information on his WW1 service.  I will read that too.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 March 17 12:50 BST (UK) »
  The one thing I don't have is next of kin after his wife died if you see it anywhere.

Crew Agreements usually give NOK. Will take a look at the same next time I visit Kew. Approx 6 weeks, just give me a jog around that time.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022