Author Topic: Who did Mary Ann CLAYPOLE marry?  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Who did Mary Ann CLAYPOLE marry?
« on: Wednesday 01 March 17 10:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to tie up a couple of loose ends in one of the branches of the Claypole family.

Mary Ann CLAYPOLE (the daughter of William Claypole and Elizabeth Shaw) was born in Great Easton, Leicestershire in 1823. By 1851 she was in service at the home of Esther Paul, the sister of the Rev George Woodfield Paul, Vicar of Finedon. (Her address was Woodfield Cottage, Thrapston Road in the village).

The indexes show that a Mary Ann CLAYPOLE was married in the Wellingborough District (3b 233) in the second quarter of 1852. In this list, there are two other females and two males. So, Mary Ann could have married:

John BELCHER
William Thomas THOMPSON
or someone else.

I've not been able to find an obvious follow on but could anyone help with an answer. If this is the same Mary Ann CLAYPOLE I would strongly suspect the marriage took place in Finedon

Many thanks

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who did Mary Ann CLAYPOLE marry?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the new GRO Index search for any Belcher births with mmn Claypole, or any Thompson births with mmn Claypole?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi just checked on Ancestry for you, most trees have her dying in Ontario, Canada in 1895. Same name.

1841 at home
1851 servant
1861 ?
1871 A Mary Ann Claypole on Canada census

Looks like her father married at least twice

Regards
Shirley
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the new GRO Index search for any Belcher births with mmn Claypole, or any Thompson births with mmn Claypole?

Hi KGarrad

No joy there I'm afraid

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirley

Yes, I've seen that entry and I've looked through many of the trees that include a Mary Ann CLAYPOLE in Canada.  I could only find one tree which had any indication of her other details. Her age (72) and date of death (January 7th 1895) would coincide with the Mary Ann CLAYPOLE I'm questioning. However my scepticism is raised by two points: firstly although her death is registered as CLAYPOLE, she is described as a widow; secondly her death as informed by a son in law W E O'Brien. (I have a feeling that this record has been subject to random cut-and-pasters!)

The next bit of information from the same tree is a findagrave reference for a Mary Ann James CLAYPOLE (same date of death) which is linked to her husband John A CLAYPOLE and 9 children (Photographs of her and the headstone on the tree)

So, back to the drawing board and my first question: Who did Mary Ann CLAYPOLE (possibly of Finedon) marry in the Wellingborough district in 1852?

Mary Ann James Claypole gravesite

Alan

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi just checked on Ancestry for you, most trees have her dying in Ontario, Canada in 1895. Same name.

1841 at home
1851 servant
1861 ?
1871 A Mary Ann Claypole on Canada census

Looks like her father married at least twice

Regards
Shirley

Mary Ann Claypole on the 1871 Canada census is a widow . Her death registration in Ontario 1895 also states widow and names 2 sons in law who can be matched up with her daughters on the census. Not the same Mary Ann , I'm afraid.

Edit - Sorry Newfloridian , you beat me to it !
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

No worries! I'm glad we are in agreement!! Just need to persuade all the authors of the faulty trees of their fault now!

Alan

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann married William Thomas Thompson.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Sandy

Should be able to complete a trace now

Alan