Author Topic: presumed phone scam  (Read 6285 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
presumed phone scam
« on: Wednesday 01 March 17 14:18 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a phone call from a number starting 001 441, which is Bermuda.

The woman had an Asian-sounding accent and was hard to understand.  I didn't catch the name of the company she claimed to represent.  She said she was responding to a report that someone was using my internet connection without authorization, and if I would just connect my computer she would run a test.

I was suspicious and told her so.  The line immediately went dead, which rather confirms my suspicion.
It seems a bit unlikely that a British provider would contact me in that way.

Please be on your guard.

Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: presumed phone scam
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Definitely a scam.  Previous version was to pretend they were calling from Microsoft and had detected a problem with your system.

I used to string them along and act all helpful and interested purely to waste their time.  I would then either tell them how clever they were to detect a fault when I didn't even have a computer - or use a less ladylike method of teminating the call!!

Since I bought a BT call blocker phone last year - haven't had a single scam/junk call - absolute Heaven ;D

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes I agree scam just with a different tack. I also have n't had any of these call since I bought a bit phone with call guardian.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Slightly straying off topic but I, too, have a phone with call guardian.  I bought it because it had a 1000 number memory for blocked numbers - it's still empty because they don't get through in the first place!

Excellent - but can anyone find a 'last number redial' button?  :-\

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I had a rather odd phone call today asking if I was still using my Dyson cleaner and if so would I like to upgrade my insurance cover...I told her that I have never owned a Dyson with a few choice words thrown in.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 23:16 GMT (UK) »
but can anyone find a 'last number redial' button?

Mine is a BT 8600 but it's probably the same on other models.

Bottom right hand corner of the screen you should see "Calls"

Press the oblong button to the right of the little shield and it will say "Gathering calls information"

You will then be presented with a list of all numbers who have rung you (or tried to and failed) plus your own outgoing calls

If you want to ring back - highlight the number using the arrows on the "Volume" button and press the green phone button

In the bottom left of the screen you will see "Options" and you can decide the appropriate action with each individual number

Alternatively - just select "delete all" and all incoming and outgoing calls will be deleted
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Scam calls, they're always on the go just as emails are much to my cost!

Can someone please give me a link for the phone with 1000 number memory for blocked numbers please?

Today I had a phone call (house phone)

Caller, Is this My Name
Me, No, sorry, I think you have a wrong number
Caller, Are you not my name & full address
Me, No but you have just given me the name & address of someone which is not exactly data protection!
Caller, So you've never lived at my address
Me, No but I now know who does or did, full name & address which I think is shocking as you should not be giving me, a stranger, another persons personal details over a phone
Caller, Oh, eh, oh okay & hung up!

Moral is, my personal details could have been given to any stranger if I'd changed my phone no. & someone else now had it  :o

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
One way I have found to get rid of scam calls is to say that, when they state the call will be recorded for "training" purposes, is to state in an emphatic fashion, that it will NOT be recorded.

Either that, or that I will be recording the call for MY training purposes.

They hang up very quickly then ;D ;D

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 23:36 GMT (UK) »
The phone I have is a BT8600 Call Guardian.  If a number is programmed into your phone - they will get through as usual unless they are ex-directory in which case they are treated in the same way as those below.

Numbers not programmed in are intercepted - your phone does not ring at this point

They are asked to say who is calling and then press the hash key

If they do so - your phone rings and the screen says "Announced Call" and when you pick up you are told who is calling.

At that point you can accept or reject the call.

Those nuisance recorded message calls cannot get through as they can't press the hash key ;D

The "humans" in the call centres can't be bothered once they get an intercept so ring off

If you accept a call then realise you don't want them to bother you again - just highlight the number on the calls list and select to block calls from that number.

Get on with your life without constant interruptions from cold callers.  I have never regretted buying it.

One thing to remember is that when you programme in any local numbers - you have to add the dialling code like you do on a mobile phone