Author Topic: presumed phone scam  (Read 6268 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: presumed phone scam
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 March 17 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole,

Cold calls are a nightmare as well as automated calls.

My answerphone fills up in a week to the point of being out of memory i.e. no-one can leave messages which I do want to hear.

Same numbers several times in a day...total harassment!!

I do press 1471 when I'm home to find out who it is/was but usually cold calls.

A lot are from 'a network that does not transmit numbers' or similar i.e. how do you block them if there's no number available?

Others are 'caller has withheld number' or similar i.e. ditto above?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 March 17 01:43 GMT (UK) »
A lot are from 'a network that does not transmit numbers' or similar i.e. how do you block them if there's no number available?

Others are 'caller has withheld number' or similar i.e. ditto above?

No need to block them as they are all intercepted so you never get a call unless they announce themselves and press the hash key - not one caller of this type has bothered to do so in the 9 + months I have had this phone
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bootzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 March 17 02:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm getting a few odd ones.. but now when they finally decide to speak and its usually an asian who sounds as if they are calling from inside a tin can who I cant understand.. so keep saying I cant understand you.. so when I can and they get to why they called and want ID.. I just say well you rang me, you should have my address, DOB etc..

The other day she said oh I cant give you that as its against privacy laws what ever but I can give you my Telstra ID, I said nope.. you could be a scammer and hung up..

In my younger days I used to say you have called Det Chief Inspector ... this is being recorded so whats the problem.. they soon hung up... now a days you could get in deep doo doo for that...

Not giving anyone my details now and if I have a problem I'll call them..

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 March 17 03:49 GMT (UK) »
I have said it before and no doubt I will say it again that some of the scams must be showing a profit or else they would soon close down.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 March 17 07:45 GMT (UK) »
If you have a BT landline then there is a new service from them - Call Protect - you just have to register on their website.  If nuisance calls still get through, then when you hang up call 1572 immediately to register that call.  If enough callers report, then that number is added to the BT blacklist.  AND it's FREE.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 March 17 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I had a call last week, serious young mans voice, I stayed silent and listened, I think he was on about PPI then I put on a gay sounding voice and said " Ho! Ho! you sound a nice boy- ones dreams Ho! "  the phone went dead very quickly.  ;D ;D ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the 'last number redial' advice, Carole.  I also have an 8600 and I know I can do it via the calls list but it takes quite a while to generate.  My last phone had a button which instantly brought up the last number - so much quicker but it wasn't so clever as the phone I have now so I think it's a reasonable trade off.   ;D

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 March 17 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that idea dobfarm. The only trouble is if they are here in Sydney, they might like the idea :o :o :o :o

Sunday is the "Mardi Gras Parade" I am staying safely at home, well clear of the parade area ::) ::)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 March 17 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Well in that case  :-[ I would have told him that I'd put on hold, telling him I was going to talk it over with to my plants, while I would really be going to the pub for a pint.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth