Author Topic: Thomas Button 35th Regiment of Foot 1806-1832  (Read 1947 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Button 35th Regiment of Foot 1806-1832
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 02 March 17 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David.

I am now down to checking the prison records for Dorchester Gaol to establish why the two daughters- Elizabeth and Jane Button- who were in Sherborne workhouse in 1841- ended up being committed to prison. What a story this one is!
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 03 March 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »
And some fell on stony ground.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 03 March 17 09:35 GMT (UK) »
This little family had a tough time. Thomas Budden died in 1854 and his wife Jane had died by 1881 before she reached 50. The children also had a tough life. However, son Thomas became a fishmonger and Letitia married a sailor and moved to Portsmouth. Jemima, despite being brought before the judge as a vagrant, married and settled down locally too. Their last daughter- Louise/Lucy born in 1852 married a malter locally and was a witness at the wedding of my husband's great grandparents in 1877. She sadly died very young at 33 in 1884(married in 1871). So it is a very mixed tale! I have not researched the 2 daughters from the first marriage who were in Sherborne workhouse in 1841 as i was not aware of their existence until yesterday! But some brick walls have been brought down- thank you to everyone for you help.
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 03 March 17 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Just to update the post- i have now located the Settlement Examination document for August 1832 when Thomas returned to England after Army discharge- I am awaiting a copy of this from the Dorset archives and hopefully that may throw some more light on this investigation. many thanks to everyone for their help!

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Button 35th Regiment of Foot 1806-1832- completed.
« Reply #31 on: Monday 13 March 17 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Update- I have now received the Settlemnt Deed for 1832 - which tells me that Thomas was born in 1792 in Witchampton- baptism records for Witchampton disclose a baptism on 25th November 1792 of a Thomas Feltham base son of Mary BUDDEN. The Deed confirms that young Thomas worked as an assistant to a shepherd in pimperne for 4 years befor joing in the Dorset militia for 18 months and then the 35th regiment.
The Deed also confirms the marriage in 1831 to Jane Dobbin and the birth of their daughter Jane.
Thomas also refers to Jane Dobbin as his current wife- that coupled with stating he was a widower when he married Jane Dobbin effectively confirms the marriage to Elizabeth in 1818 at Gussage.
So that effectively now discounts the initial connection with Sherborne. However, in time I will attempt to locate the workhouse records for the 2 girls as shown in the 1841 census with the surname Button- oddly born in the West Indies!
I think now I can effectively close this thread before it gets more complicated- and say a massive thank you to everyone for all the help!
Caroline

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 13 March 17 18:06 GMT (UK) »
that coupled with stating he was a widower when he married Jane Dobbin effectively confirms the marriage to Elizabeth in 1818 at Gussage.

Be careful  - that's a big assumption.   
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 13 March 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun- I know! I am gradually getting to the correct facts in this saga through true documents- but I am really struggling to find the event which made Thomas Button/Budden a widower as stated when he married Jane Dobbin at st Anns Fort Barbados in 1831. Any suggestions would be really appreciated! i have also emailed to Dominica to try and find out if they have any birth records for Thomas's second wife Jane Dobbin around 1811- trying really hard!
Re the 2 girls in Sherborne workhouse in 1841- mentioned earlier in this thread- is it possible to maybe look at apprentice records if they ever left the workhouse? Again I have never gone down that avenue and would appreciate any guidance.
Big thanks
Caroline