Author Topic: Missing death of John Grigg late 1870s Portsmouth?  (Read 623 times)

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
Missing death of John Grigg late 1870s Portsmouth?
« on: Thursday 02 March 17 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Recently I started a wider post looking for John Grigg

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=763660.0

As I had no replies about his death I thought I would try a more local audience.

The only census appearance for John was at Anglesea Barracks, Portsea in 1871. He married Sarah Ann Forman Q4 1871 Portsea. On both occasions his age was 33 so born around 1838.

His son, James Aaron Grigg, was born in Portsmouth on 10 May 1875.

Sarah Ann had a son, David Percival Herbert, born on 26 May 1878 in Newbury BRK by David Herbert. Although she used the style “Herbert late Grigg formerly Forman” they did not marry until 14 July 1879.

So I assume John Grigg died between 1874 and 1878 or 1879. But nothing on FreeBMD.

The family story is that one day John went to meet a friend off the Isle of Wight ferry, was blown off the quayside, and drowned. But I can't find an online newspaper report of an inquest.

Sarah Ann used to take my grandmother and great-aunt on holiday to Portsmouth (I assume in the 1910s) and there were connections to people called Dangerfield. I'm not sure if this helps; I've never found anything.

Fresh eyes and any thoughts – even the “bleeding obvious” -  from RootsChatters would be appreciated.
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
South Bucks- Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall- Aunger Baker Grigg Luxton
Hants- Hine/Hind
South Oxon- Applebee Barlow Clark Edginton Elliott Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk- Chilvers Darby Philpot Russell Stone
Surrey- Edwards Knight Lanaway
Sussex- English Exeter Jeffery Knight Mugridge
Wilts Bishop

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death of John Grigg late 1870s Portsmouth?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 17 00:57 GMT (UK) »
I have had a good look & like you I have drawn a Blank, unless it is to do with the spelling of his name,  ??? he just doesn't  wont to be found.
I have 2 brothers in laws who liked a drink or two & cant find them I think they got drunk & fell of Ryde Pier  :-\

Ann
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 March 17 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Have you got his military record?
It would give you date of death, provided he was still in the army at the time.

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 17 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Ann - he doesn't want to be found - I don't even have his birth - but he will be one day!

amondg - he was in the army from 14 July 1859 to 31 March 1874. I don't think there are any individual service papers, but I followed his career through the muster books at National Archives, Kew.

West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 March 17 12:05 GMT (UK) »
If the family story is true maybe he just went missing and his wife married a little later but he was never declared dead?

Is this book relevant at all? http://www.naval-military-press.com/historical-records-of-the-seventh-or-royal-regiment-of-fusiliers.html?&partner=PaulNixon It says it gives a year-by-year account until 1875. It might be interesting even though it won't mention him (probably).
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 March 17 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Gardener - thanks for finding that book, I'm trying to see if I can get a copy through my local library.

Although there does not seem to be a death registration, I've been wondering if there was a burial.

The cemetery records appear to have been indexed at the Portsmouth History Centre. I am prepared to pay for the staff to do a search , but I am a bit wary of giving them a blank cheque (and they do seem to be a bit expensive).

Has anyone had experience of using these cemetery records, and how long do you think a search for John Grigg (it's not Smith!) over say 1874-1879 would take? Am I also right in thinking that a burial at this time would be in a cemetery rather than a churchyard?

Finding a burial would be great, but not finding one might give credence to a missing drowned body  .
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop