Author Topic: Alice May Tiplady - Looking for Birth Record ~ Philadelphia  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Alice May Tiplady - Looking for Birth Record ~ Philadelphia
« on: Thursday 02 March 17 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I am helping someone to trace the birth of Alice May Tiplady who was born in Philadelphia around 1905/6.

In 1911 she is aged 5 years old and is living with her Uncle, John Henry Tiplady age 38 and born and living in Bradford, also in residence is her Aunt, Ada Jane Tiplady age 36, and born in Thirsk and listed as single and died in 1914
On Alice May's marriage certificate in 1924 in Christ Church in York, she has changed her name to May Brearley naming her deceased Father as Louis Brearley with John Henry Tiplady named as a witness.

It looks like she may be the illegitimate Daughter of Ada Jane or one of her Sisters.

Any help to trace her birth would be greatly appreciation as I only have subs for Ancestry UK.
Thanks for looking.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Alice May Tiplady - Looking for Birth Record ~ Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 March 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

You might have a slight problem with this one - Prior to 1906, Pennsylvania births and deaths were recorded only sporadically by the counties and some cities such as Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Genealogists  rely on county records or non-governmental sources such as church registers, gravestone inscriptions and newspapers to obtain data for this earlier period.

At a cost (sorry hate to suggest this avenue) - You could request a search of records at the Philadelphia City Archives - Submit a written request with as much detail as possible (i.e. exact names and exact month/year) along with a cheque or money order made out to "City of Philadelphia" and a self-addressed stamped envelope (Letter size 4-1/8" x 9-1/2") .

The Archives needs the month and year of birth, death or marriage, along with the names of the parties.  For birth records, the names of the parents are also required.  Mailed requests for copies of certificates cost $10.00, which includes a simple search.  In-person copies from microfilm reader/printers cost $1.00 per page, $2.00 minimum.  If exact month and year are not known, or exact names are not known, provide the date range and name information and a search can be performed.

http://www.phila.gov/records/archives/faq.html

Notice there is an ancestry tree which gives the birth date as 8 October 1905 - Philadelphia Delaware  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 March 17 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra and thanks for your quick response...this information came from her Grandson who lives in Canada but is currently in the UK...I am researching the Tiplady Family as I have been asked to find family of donated Bible and album of old photgraphs and have made contacted through a tree owner on Ancestry.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=764898.0

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 17 11:15 GMT (UK) »
There is a Pennsylvania birth index from 1906-1911 here - http://www.phmc.pa.gov/Archives/Research-Online/Pages/Birth-Indices.aspx  A quick look at the T section of 1906 didn't show her.

There are Philadelphia births for 1860-1906 here - https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1951739?collectionNameFilter=false  Again, I didn't see her under Tiplady.

Notice there is an ancestry tree which gives the birth date as 8 October 1905 - Philadelphia Delaware  ???

There is a Delaware Co. right near Philadelphia, so that may be what they're referring to, rather than the state of Delaware. 

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 17 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Shelly...no record for her under Tiplady or Brearley on either link  :-\...thanks for your time.
Carol

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 March 17 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Brearley Family are mentioned in the History of Delaware County............. (interesting read - will post for interest just in case we can make a link - there is a Louis (deceased mentioned) ) Part 1

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 March 17 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Part 2

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 March 17 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Oh that's interesting Sandra...I think that should be Milnrow my DIL was born there. Interesting that John was in the textile industry in 1911....Strange that John says he is married in 1911 but no wife in residence and he clearly took responsibility for Alice as she lived with him with her husband and can be seen on the 1939 register but down as Olive M Bedford ???
Thanks for your time, it could help with the bigger picture.
Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 March 17 15:52 GMT (UK) »
The plot thickens...1944 in The Leeds Intelligencer... I wonder  ::)

FreeBMD:

Births Sep 1905
Brearley    Alice Mary        Rochdale

Carol