Author Topic: Confused by an array of PC adaptors!  (Read 1724 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Confused by an array of PC adaptors!
« on: Thursday 02 March 17 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The community organisation that I work for has been donated a couple of LG PC monitors and we need an adaptor to link it with our laptops.

I wonder if someone can link me to a website where I can buy one cheaply, I spent hours looking and got completely confused.

I have basically worked out what I need is as follows:

the monitor lead plug (sorry not sure if that is the technical term!) is a DVI-D single link and I need one with a female fitting? (the holes that the plug will go into) and the other end to go into a laptop.  One of the usual flat plugs, I think it is a usb?

Sorry, hopefully someone out there will know instantly what I am on about and be able to lead me to the right place.  I would be really grateful.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Confused by an array of PC adaptors!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 March 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »

Assuming most will still have VGA on their laptops.
You say that the monitors have DVI
so . . . . .

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jlm/

then use a vga-vga cable

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 March 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
The trouble with most solutions is that they seem to require an adapter, then a cable.

If the screens are lightweight, it could be an idea to take one to a local computer shop and ask their advice.  Look pathetic, flatter the manager and explain it's for charity and you might get a good deal!

Philip (I have no shame when it comes to charity appeals!)
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 17 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I have just sent you a PM with a link to a company I used a few weeks ago. Very competitive and extremely helpful, they also seem to stock cables that others do not.

If you are struggling to unravel the many combinations, send them photos of each end and they will help you pick the right cable.

regards

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 17 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Most laptops and monitors have a 15pin plug/socket. (depending on laptop or monitor)
This combination is called VGA connection, leads cost from couple of pounds complete.
USB is used for connecting memory stick/external storage not for a monitor connection.
If you have a Maplins, take your laptop with you to compare.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 March 17 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if the laptop connection is hdmi as Kerry's mentions it's flat?

I tend to use ebuyer.com, you can check what you need first as they have a huge variety of connectors.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone, I now have some ideas.  Have to say I like Philip's idea, and I'm never too old for a bit of eyelash fluttering and flattery.  ;D

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 March 17 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I hope the fluttering and flattery works out well  ;D

A few things to consider before you go shopping though...

1) Will the monitors be permanently connected to the laptops, or will they be plugged in and removed regularly? That's important because the different types of connection (VGA/DVI/HDMI) have different levels of robustness and resistance to damage when being connected. Although it is subjective, my own view is HDMI is possibly better than VGA and DVI is more vulnerable than both. If the laptop gives you a choice of VGA or HDMI (I agree with jc26red that the usb-like one may be HDMI) then try and use that if you can.

2) Try and keep it as simple as possible - if both the laptop and monitor have VGA connections then use a VGA cable. Adapting or converting from one type of connector to another is opening yourself up for trouble.

3) There is a difference between 'adaptors' and 'convertors' - just to confuse everyone ;D Adaptors normally just allow one kind of physical connector to be used with a different kind of physical connector, they don't have electronics inside (e.g. VGA to DVI-A). Convertors use electronics to convert one kind of signal into another (e.g. USB to VGA). Applying point 2 above it is best to avoid convertors if at all possible. Adaptors are ok, but straight connections (e.g. VGA-VGA) the best.

4) If you have to use an adaptor or convertor, try to have it on the monitor end. The connectors are not very strong nor designed to be moved around too much, so they are better attached to the non-moving monitor than the laptop that gets moved around on the desk. There's also the risk that an adaptor/convertor plugged into the laptop gets taken away with the laptop and lost.

5) It is worth looking up the different types of connector - VGA, DVI-A, DVI-D, HDMI - on something like wikipedia, just so you have a better idea of what you need. The looking pathetic/flattery option might work, but if you end being sold a £20 convertor with 90% discount you'll still be worse off than buying a £1.50 adaptor which might do the job just as well.

If you can post the make and model of the laptops and monitors we might be able to help you figure out what you need before you head to the shop  :)

Edited to add: The above is based on me spending years looking for a second video card to go in my PC so I could use two (VGA) monitors to make transcribing easier. When I finally gave up the search and looked into the different types of video interface I discovered that a £1.50 adaptor would allow the second VGA monitor to be plugged into the 'spare' DVI-A output on the back of the PC. Cue much slapping of forehead and wishing I'd looked for a simple solution first!

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick

Thank you for your useful tips.  I haven't managed to get to a shop yet, it has been a hectic week so far.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire V5 -552 and the monitor is an LG but not sure of any other details as it is currently in the office and I am at home.  The lead from the monitor which I have with me has a DVI - D single link (googled that) on both ends which of course does not fit into my laptop anywhere. 

The monitor will remain in the office at all times and it is the laptop which comes home each night. 

Kerry :D