Author Topic: Confused by an array of PC adaptors!  (Read 1733 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Confused by an array of PC adaptors!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Checked the specs of the acer laptop and it has hdmi and vga.

The cable needs to be hdmi to dvi-d
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Just do a search for "hdmi to dvi adapter" there are plenty on the market. I would suggest sticking to a known company though.
They retail at around £5 or so on Am....zon
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 22:49 GMT (UK) »

Agreed, based on the laptop spec and the DVI-D cable for the monitor then the best bet is to use the HDMI output on the laptop (the one which looks a bit like USB) as this will be the easiest to plug in and unplug, and avoids the need for a convertor.

If you do a search for ebay item 190499000963 (you can just google 'ebay 190499000963') it will show you an example of the cable which is male HDMI to male DVI-D. I'm not necessarily suggesting you use this particular seller, it just shows you what to look for. This one is listed at £2.75.

But it is important to note that this cable will not work if the monitor requires an analogue input - the difference in physical appearance between DVI-D and DVI-I (which also carries an analogue signal) is very subtle. DVI-I has four extra pins above and below the 'flat' pin. So it is worth just doing a double check that you've correctly identified the monitor connection as DVI-D.  :)

Nick

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 01:14 GMT (UK) »
 I think it depends on how old your LG monitor is.  My LG is a few years old and has a

hdmi socket.   I connect my Xbox-1 to it and use the other connection to my computer.

A touch of a button on the monitor and I can switch between both systems.

This might help:-

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-use-hdmi-out-on-laptop-to-exernal-monitor

just click on the link

If you have a hdmi socket on both units then all you need is a cheap hdmi cable

with male connectors

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 01:38 GMT (UK) »

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hdmi+port+pictures&rlz=1T4RNRN_enGB448GB449&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNhIiA4sXSAhVpKMAKHXZtBmEQ7AkIUQ&biw=1290&bih=667

Notice how the hdmi connection is different to a usb. The usb is a rectangular one,

the hdmi is a special shape.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you guys for your help.

Thank you Tomkin for the useful page of images, now why didn't I think of that?

Have found the Hdmi port on my laptop and thanks to Nick's advice and links now know exactly what I am looking for.  I am just going to check tomorrow when I am next in the office that there isn't any other port on the monitor.  I'm pretty sure there wasn't but worth checking.   ;D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 18:19 GMT (UK) »

Glad the 'confusion' is finally cleared up  :)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 31 March 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
Just to end this thread and thank you for all your help.

Got my cable.  The funny bit of the story.  The lead that came with the monitor  with the DVI-D single link fitting on both ends and that fitting doesn't go into my laptop.  Hence this thread. 

However in a moment of clarity I suddenly realised that rather than finding an adaptor to go on that lead and go into my laptop, what I needed was a new lead to go from the monitor - DVI-D to my laptop - HDMI.  Doh!!!!!!

So happy end, bought a lead with the right fittings on both ends and it works, I can now use the monitor.

Thanks guys.  Just blame it on the fact I am a bear of very little brain!  ;D

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 March 17 20:32 BST (UK) »

That's great news! I don't think it is any problem with your brain - I think they make it extra complicated to get people to buy things they don't really need  ;D

Nick