Author Topic: Firefox  (Read 1633 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Firefox
« on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone else been having problems with Mozilla Firefox.  It's been very slow opening up the home page, then this evening it wouldn't open at all.  Everything seemed to be fixed.  I tried ctrl, alt del and instead of getting Task Manager as expected, I got half a dozen home pages all with a message stating Firefox was not responding.  I tried everything and in desperation just turned off the laptop.  I tried again some time later with the same result.  After a few times of turning off and on I got a message to open Firefox in safe mode.  I did this but, of course, all my tabs were missing. 

Then I got a message to refresh Firefox, I did this and suddenly it seems to be working ok.  I was worried it was my laptop, where I have all my passwords stored, all my files etc. so I'm hoping it's just Firefox.  I do back up continually so, hopefully, I would be able to restore everything if it was my laptop and not firefox, although last time I had to do that I couldn't get back my family tree immediately, it came back in some sort of code which took a lot of sorting out.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Firefox
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried another browser to see if the same thing happens? If that opens everything okay that will at least show you it is Firefox and not the laptop.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 March 17 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't do anything at first, but eventually I did manage to open Internet Explorer but, strangely, that wouldn't let me type a message on Roots.  I just kept getting a message about a script not working properly.  Hopefully all is well now, apart from the fact that I have a default grey bar at the top of the web pages and I can't remember how to change it to something better.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 17 22:15 GMT (UK) »
On Firefox settings, do you have it set to clear all cookies when you exit?  (This will not affect passwords and favourites).  Sometimes, unwanted cookies can throw up unwanted tabs.

Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 17 22:16 GMT (UK) »
No, I don't Philip.  I'll do that now.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 March 17 22:51 GMT (UK) »
apart from the fact that I have a default grey bar at the top of the web pages and I can't remember how to change it to something better.

I've sussed that out now, it's nothing to do with Windows, it's Firefox's toolbar that I customised. See below for what I've got now.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 March 17 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 March 17 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link.  I'll have to print it out because if it crashes again I can't get onto the internet to find this!

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 March 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »

Using a blank homepage and minimising the number of open tabs can help overcome issues with slow starting - it all depends whether you appreciate all your favourite pages opening as soon as you start Firefox, or if you want to be up and running quickly  :)