Author Topic: Choan Coan Kenneth STEWART and his wife Anna MacPherson  (Read 3564 times)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: Choan Coan Kenneth STEWART and his wife Anna MacPherson
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 March 17 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Photographs of grave markers at Parua Bay cemetery for Alexander & Flora STEWART..........

https://billiongraves.com/grave/F-Flora-Stewart/18163118#/

https://billiongraves.com/grave/A-Alexander-Stewart/18163112#/

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 March 17 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Obituary in reply #17 mentions "4 sons & 5 daughters living". As Dolina died in 1882, there must have been a daughter born prior to arrival in New Zealand. [There were 4 sons and 5 daughters found born in this country.]

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 March 17 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Sorry not much input except to say that I would assume 'Choan Coan' to be an abbreviated form of Coinneach which is gaelic for Kenneth?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bevbrettt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 July 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I'm here in St. Ann's Bay, Cape Breton Island, NS - not far from Big Harbour where Choan stewart and sons lived. I am looking into this family for some other people. A big help to people is realising they were Gaels- not English . His name Choan -- is from Coinneach or a Choinneach- Kenneth is the english equivalent. They lived in a Gaelic speaking community. Basically 3 interelated family groups went to New Zealand -- and there were overlaps between them all. So look for relations within those families as that is what the gaels did. MacPhersons aren't real prevalent- but there is one nearby to Choans land- (but if they married in Scotland maybe her people didn't come- but both families may have come together. Effie MacLeod shouldn't be too hard to find. Although thousands of MacLeods of course. Look to the MacLeods that were on the Heads--- most of the people at the Heads were the St. Ann's Bay/ st anns glen / big harbour people as they were all mariners. 1838 census has Choan stewart listed as carpenter(would have been ships)living with 3 males over 14. one woman over 14 (probably wife) . I would like to figure out who effie is connected to --- they may not have gone to NZ. Also ullapool was a newly created town to put cleared highlanders into to work in fishery etc. so isn't a good indication of where people were really from - but often it assynt or other parts of sutherland.

Offline bevbrettt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 July 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
excellent info- re- effy's obit/ marraige to Munro . It says born Deerness. (Durness?)  So I will look for mcleods in St. anns area born there. I think i already mentioned 1838 census lists 3 males over 14 one woman over 14. at choan (funny spelling)listed as carpenter--  victoria county historian just found his land grant so I will check that for info - and i'll go up to the cemetary annie is possibly buried in but so many don't have markers.
choan's farm is on land grant map. It was a primo spot for a mariner.  alex on land grant map too- they didn't all register them.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 July 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
I am looking into this family for some other people. A big help to people is realising they were Gaels- not English . His name Choan -- is from Coinneach or a Choinneach- Kenneth is the english equivalent. They lived in a Gaelic speaking community.

That was my thought too as knowing the Gaelic & English can be a great help.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bevbrettt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 07 July 17 14:13 BST (UK) »
Effie McLeod--- I can't find a trace of MacLeods in Deerness which i found in Orkney-- Re: Effie (Euphemia ) obituary. My guess would be- it could be a typo -- and should be Durness, Sutherland- north of Assynt. It is where the prominent Ross family is from - Archibald married Peggy Ross/ they were owners of Ross ferry across from Big Harbour- William Ross- rich merchant - Roderick- norman's son in law---
 Durness.... Ross/ McKenzie family had many children- quite a few and nephew neices tied up with migration-- geographically I don't look more than 6 or 7 farms away to find -- people.

https://novascotia.ca/natr/land/indexmaps/123.pdf  look at Big Harbour and you will see Choan Stewart. the piece of land across is a mcleod who bought it from Duncan prince MacKenzie who built the highand lass etc... you will see many others on the ship lists.

Offline jessm63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 09 July 17 06:27 BST (UK) »
Effie McLeod--- I can't find a trace of MacLeods in Deerness which i found in Orkney-- Re: Effie (Euphemia ) obituary. My guess would be- it could be a typo -- and should be Durness, Sutherland- north of Assynt. It is where the prominent Ross family is from - Archibald married Peggy Ross/ they were owners of Ross ferry across from Big Harbour- William Ross- rich merchant - Roderick- norman's son in law---
 Durness.... Ross/ McKenzie family had many children- quite a few and nephew neices tied up with migration-- geographically I don't look more than 6 or 7 farms away to find -- people.

https://novascotia.ca/natr/land/indexmaps/123.pdf  look at Big Harbour and you will see Choan Stewart. the piece of land across is a mcleod who bought it from Duncan prince MacKenzie who built the highand lass etc... you will see many others on the ship lists.

Hello Bev,
It's Jessie McInnes here, I got your book right before you left NZ to go back to Nova Scotia if you remember, (thanks again) my daughter is a Stewart from Archibalds line ;) it's me who posted this original thread. Thanks a lot for your input!
That land map is super interesting to me!!!
Thanks to everyone helping to gather information it really means a lot, I'm fairly new to this level of research so I have no idea where to start for most things I want to know! Very much appreciate all the leads :)

Offline bevbrettt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 09 July 17 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessie,
I noticed on this board- Stewarts were from Skye. For the land map. go to that site and it has all the other maps- click the numbers next to it 122, etc. to get St. Ann's Bay . So glen Tosh is st.Ann's glen. You can see how McGregors Stewarts Macdonalds McLeods, who lived next to each other there settled next to each other at the heads. Thanks for replying. I've never tried this before. And Peggy Ross is in one of the letters- who died by fire.
Bev