Author Topic: Choan Coan Kenneth STEWART and his wife Anna MacPherson  (Read 3587 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
  • imagine all the people sharing all the world
    • View Profile
Re: Choan Coan Kenneth STEWART and his wife Anna MacPherson
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 January 21 22:16 GMT (UK) »
...should be Durness, Sutherland- north of Assynt. It is where the prominent Ross family is from - Archibald married Peggy Ross/ they were owners of Ross ferry across from Big Harbour- William Ross- rich merchant - Roderick- norman's son in law---
 Durness.... Ross/ McKenzie family had many children- quite a few and nephew neices tied up with migration-- geographically I don't look more than 6 or 7 farms away to find -- people.

I just discovered this message thread from 2017 referencing Ross Ferry in Nova Scotia.

John Ross and Robina Mackenzie who emigrated in 1815-1816 from Sutherland, Scotland to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, were my 3x great-grandparents. They homesteaded the 200 acre Ross Ferry land parcel on Boularderie Island in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia that is visible on the map you referenced at:

https://novascotia.ca/natr/land/indexmaps/123.pdf

I have started a biography for John Ross here:

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Ross-18262

John Ross and Robina Mackenzie raised 10 children on the 200 acre parcel at Ross Ferry. Their #2 child Hugh Ross died in NZ and was buried in Symonds Street Cemetery, Auckland. Their #3 child Roderick married Mary Macleod, daughter of Rev. Norman Macleod. Roderick Ross and Mary MacLeod were buried in Waipu Cemetery, NZ. Their #9 child Donald Ross was a surveyor and civil engineer who married Sarah Hendry in Nova Scotia in 1877. Donald and Sarah emigrated to NZ and had four children, three daughters and a son. Their son, named Hugh John Ross, died at the age of 8 months and was buried beneath the same memorial stone as his uncle Hugh Ross in Symonds Street Cemetery, Auckland.

Btw, there is an error on the ship lists at this location:

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/passengerlists/Sebim.shtml#marg

The passenger list for the barque Margaret has two entries for a "Ronald Ross Esq" and none for Roderick Ross. This may be a transcription error. Roderick Ross (1818-1866) married Mary Macleod. They had five chidren as of 1851, then they sailed on the barque Margaret with Rev. Norman Macleod. In 1853 their sixth child Alexander was born in Waipu.

Meanwhile, the other 7 children that John Ross and Robina Mackenzie raised on Cape Breton stayed in Nova Scotia, got married, and raised families in Canada. Their #4 child John Ross was my 2x great-grandfather - he was a farmer, and was buried near New Glasgow, NS. Their #6 child William Ross was a shipbuilder and a successful merchant in NS, and also an MP and Senator in the Parliament of Canada.

Meanwhile, I'm interested in finding more details about Ross Ferry.
Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Choan Coan Kenneth STEWART and his wife Anna MacPherson
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Think his name might be Conn?

skoosh.