Author Topic: Choan Kenneth Stewart and his first wife Anna Macpherson  (Read 572 times)

Offline jessm63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Choan Kenneth Stewart and his first wife Anna Macpherson
« on: Friday 03 March 17 09:06 GMT (UK) »

QuoteModify
Hi everyone, I'm looking for any info on Choan (also seen spelled Coan) Kenneth STEWART born C1782 Ullapool, Scotland and his first wife Anna MACPHERSON is of particular interest to me as I can't find anything on her. They had two sons Archibald (1815-1895) and Alexander both born in Scotland. I know Archibald married his wife Margaret Ross in Nova Scotia C1845. Archibald, Alexander and families sailed on the "spray" to NZ and settled in Hakaru in 1857. And although their father Choan was believed part owner of the "spray" he sailed to NZ from NS aboard "Breadalbane" with his second wife Ephemia "effy" McLeod and settled in whangarei heads. I'd love to know what happened to Choans first wife Anna MacPherson in between all of this, I have no birthdate or information on her besides a name. No idea if she was alive when they left Scotland for Nova Scotia. I also haven't been able to find any solid leads that go back further than Choan Stewart if anyone knows his parents etc any help would be appreciated!! Thanks for reading :)

I have also posted this on NZ immigration board and was told I should put it up here too, link to other board is http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=766484.0

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Choan Kenneth Stewart and his first wife Anna Macpherson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi jess,

Have you contacted the provincial archive. If not here is the link: https://archives.novascotia.ca/genealogy.

Cheers, JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jess,

Does the 2nd marriage cert. not declare him to be a 'Widower' with parents names for both?

I think his death cert. may give at least his father's name?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Is this name Colin?

Skoosh.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Skoosh,

Looks like a 'mushed' spelling of Gaelic Ken short for Kenneth (Coinneach) which should I think be 'Coin' ???

Annie

Added, Will ask a gaelic speaking acquaintance.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"