Author Topic: Peter Anderson Symington  (Read 3173 times)

Offline simmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Peter Anderson Symington
« on: Friday 03 March 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Peter Anderson Symington born Scotland ,sent to Canada 1913 as an orphan .Last heard of 1921 in Manitoba any help appreciated
Symington
Watson
Gilzean
Gardiner
Moon
Kilgour  all Angus,Perthshire and Glasgow.

Goodyer
Burdon
Douglas
Douglass
Kelly all Yorkshire N/E Riding

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Anderson Symington
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 17 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried contacting Quarriers (the organization that brought him to Canada)?
https://quarriers.org.uk/about-us/genealogy/

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline simmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 March 17 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Jacqui.yes I have what little information Quarriers have on him and it is only the circumstances that led to him being sent to Canada .Sadly nothing after
Symington
Watson
Gilzean
Gardiner
Moon

Goodyer
Burdon
Douglas
Douglass

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 17 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Is the Andrew who travelled with him his brother?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline simmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 March 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes he is ,Andrew travelled to the US in 1921 Peter stayed behind as far as I know
Symington
Watson
Gilzean
Gardiner
Moon

Goodyer
Burdon
Douglas
Douglass

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 March 17 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Even if this is the right Andrew/Peter Symington, it may not be much help, although every hint can be important:

Andrew Symington military attestion, showing a brother Peter as next of kin:
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=261807

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 March 17 05:52 GMT (UK) »
I could not find anything for the brothers (aside from what has already been mentioned).

Have you tried to find the uncle, Peter Symington, who was apparently living in Minnesota during Andrew's 1921 visit?  I didn't exhaust all possibilities for the uncle, but I couldn't find him after spending quite a bit of time looking for him in the states.  Perhaps you know where uncle Peter and brother Andrew were after 1921?  Could their whereabouts shed any clues about Peter?  :-\

The border crossing for Andrew is difficult to read, but Hamilton, Ontario was mentioned.  Could the brothers have returned to Ontario at some point?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 March 17 16:57 GMT (UK) »
If the CEf record is for the correct Andrew....

Both Peter and Andrew were living near Ottawa Ontario at the time Andrew signed up.

Library and Archives Canada (LAC) are in the process of digitizing all the WW1 CEF records and they will be available for free through the LAC website. They are not up to S quite yet. The records may contain addresses for Peter if he was assigned to receive Andrew's pay. Peter may not have stayed in Cobden for the duration of the war.

Andrew arrived in Canada from the war 27 Mar 1919 on the Minnekahda with a destination of Ottawa.

Both brothers are proving to be very elusive beyond 1921.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline simmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 March 17 17:10 GMT (UK) »
It's so frustrating it's as if they vanished after that date ,they maybe never married but they obviously died at some point so there has to be a record of this somewhere surely .My Dad was left a small bequest in a cousins will and I do believe that solicitors tried in vain to find my uncles at this time as the too were beneficiaries but no joy
Symington
Watson
Gilzean
Gardiner
Moon

Goodyer
Burdon
Douglas
Douglass