Author Topic: Lapsed RC members  (Read 13472 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lapsed RC members
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 04 March 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »

Sorry - I'm breaking my self imposed silence because I couldn't disagree more.

There is no way that I can find myself agreeing with you!
Like most people on here, I think the mod's do a great job.

I have fallen foul myself a number of times. Sometimes I agreed with their stance; sometimes I didn't.

Ultimately, I simply have to shrug my shoulders, and get on with life.
If it was as bad as you seem to make out, I wouldn't be a member of RootsChat ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 04 March 17 13:44 GMT (UK) »

I am also puzzled by the fact that I have seen posts censored because the poster has given out FH data sourced from CDs or websites where copyright might be an issue (fair enough, no one wants to get sued) but, then, other threads seem to be able to give out such information willy nilly.

Could this be because the mods have not been alerted to the posts that gave out the information willy nilly.  They cannot be expected to read every post under their jurisdiction so also have to rely on others reporting it to them.   :-\

So, as I said, no consistency!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 04 March 17 13:47 GMT (UK) »

Sorry - I'm breaking my self imposed silence because I couldn't disagree more.

There is no way that I can find myself agreeing with you!
Like most people on here, I think the mod's do a great job.

I have fallen foul myself a number of times. Sometimes I agreed with their stance; sometimes I didn't.

Ultimately, I simply have to shrug my shoulders, and get on with life.
If it was as bad as you seem to make out, I wouldn't be a member of RootsChat ;D

I was reacting against those who seem to think moderators are perfect - they're not. If you're happy to shrug your shoulders and ignore it - shrug away!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 04 March 17 13:52 GMT (UK) »

I am also puzzled by the fact that I have seen posts censored because the poster has given out FH data sourced from CDs or websites where copyright might be an issue (fair enough, no one wants to get sued) but, then, other threads seem to be able to give out such information willy nilly.

Could this be because the mods have not been alerted to the posts that gave out the information willy nilly.  They cannot be expected to read every post under their jurisdiction so also have to rely on others reporting it to them.   :-\

So, as I said, no consistency!

How can you have consistency when volunteers are helping to run this site and are not on here all the time.  I report errors such as email addresses etc but not every time so I am not consistent either.  Nobody is perfect  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 04 March 17 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I don't think that anyone expects Mods to be perfect, as someone said they are volunteers and have other lives, so can't be expected to be around the whole time. Surely it is up to us to help them by reporting posts that we think are breaking the site rules and then accept their decision either way? Of course we may not always like or agree with that decision, but that happens in all aspects of life - we have to accept and move on. No one is forced to continue posting if they don't agree with how things are run.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 04 March 17 14:03 GMT (UK) »
I don't think any one said they were perfect just that they, overall did a great job which is not the same thing.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 04 March 17 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Moderators are human - and doing it because they are interested, knowledgeable, experienced and helpful. They're not in my view at all officious,  and any apparent inconsistency will be because a matter has not been drawn to their attention. We've all had a tiny smack on the hand when we've done something daft, but most of us have had more good guidance and help via moderators re-directing us, or pointing out that someone has already asked the exact same questions that we are thinking of spending time answering, several times. They also make sure as far as they can that we do not accidentally - or otherwise, breach copyright rules by publishing information we have found in certain places in a manner that could render "RootsChat" liable for some trouble and cost. Without them, it could not run as it does, if at all.
I salute them. They devote time and effort to helping US.
-Oh, and why is it a problem about old posts/ lapsed members? Dates of "last logged on" are by profiles, and if you look at a thread and think of responding to it, I'm sure most of us read through the entries - and the date of the origin is there on the first post.
Some members who have lapsed have through their work provided guidance for later seekers on the same theme - and to remove lapsed members' posts after a certain period would leave some very odd gaps in the narrative of some threads, wouldn't it?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 04 March 17 15:48 GMT (UK) »

Agreed TY and if the old threads are removed after a certain time then a new member or a returning one may never see it and post something that could help the OP. 

I usually stick to the "new replies" and the " unread posts" so if an old thread pops up it means someone has posted in it recently and hope remains that it may happen to a couple of my brickwall posts ;D ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 04 March 17 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Moderators are human - and doing it because they are interested, knowledgeable, experienced and helpful. They're not in my view at all officious,  and any apparent inconsistency will be because a matter has not been drawn to their attention. We've all had a tiny smack on the hand when we've done something daft, but most of us have had more good guidance and help via moderators re-directing us, or pointing out that someone has already asked the exact same questions that we are thinking of spending time answering, several times. They also make sure as far as they can that we do not accidentally - or otherwise, breach copyright rules by publishing information we have found in certain places in a manner that could render "RootsChat" liable for some trouble and cost. Without them, it could not run as it does, if at all.
I salute them. They devote time and effort to helping US.
-Oh, and why is it a problem about old posts/ lapsed members? Dates of "last logged on" are by profiles, and if you look at a thread and think of responding to it, I'm sure most of us read through the entries - and the date of the origin is there on the first post.
Some members who have lapsed have through their work provided guidance for later seekers on the same theme - and to remove lapsed members' posts after a certain period would leave some very odd gaps in the narrative of some threads, wouldn't it?

Well I'm certainly not human as Im sure a number of people on here will testify... :P 8) :o ;D

It would be silly to remove lapsed posts...I just this morning had recourse to look up a thread from 2009...And not all are lapsed...Some have issues...some have lives...some have issues with their lives...I myself am not as active as I once was....So where would the inactive cut off be?? One week? one month? A year??? And what about members who have passed away?? A number of them added some great int that could be lost...

Nope...My advice is to read the thread, look as to when original poster was last active, and then post if you want to. Wont take more than a few seconds...And...Some of the other posters may be active and interested and thus benefit from added input  ;D

One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.