Author Topic: Lapsed RC members  (Read 13452 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Lapsed RC members
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 04 March 17 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I believe I said in my very first post on this thread that I didn't advocate 'excommunicating' any lapsers so I'm not really sure why that issue is being argued against.

All I suggested was a system be put in place to more easily identify RC lapsers who haven't communicated with us for quite a while. It wouldn't effect them or anyone looking for their posts - but it would help us RCers who do occasionally try to be helpful and answer posts asking for look ups, as I know how much I appreciate it when the boot's on the other foot. It would be nice not to waste our time. And I would add that I have occasionally spent a great deal of time searching through a CD to find the information required (see, I'm not all bad) only later to discover the original post was last decade.

As for the moderator argument which was more of a sideshow, I will beg to differ with all of you who think they are as wonderful as a man called Dave. It is clearly best on here to keep one's opinions to oneself. I had no idea the lynch mob would be out in force (thank the lord I'm not on social media), so I begrudgingly accept that I am the only person who has ever silently sworn (actually, not that silently!) when caught out by this, will try to mend my ways, and see sweetness and light where'er I roam. (Fat chance!) Over and out.

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 04 March 17 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I really can't see what the problem is. If you are going to answer a thread properly, you have to read it through first to check what has already been found. So all you need to do is look at the date on the first post and if it is several years ago and you don't recognise the name of the poster, check when they were last on line. That takes seconds and avoids wasting time.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 04 March 17 18:50 GMT (UK) »
  I had no idea the lynch mob would be out in force

Since when has people stating their opinion made them part of a 'lynch mob' ?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 04 March 17 18:54 GMT (UK) »
  I had no idea the lynch mob would be out in force

Since when has people stating their opinion made them part of a 'lynch mob' ?

If this was on Facebook I'd give you a like!  ;D ;D ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 04 March 17 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Again, and as several have stated, all that needs to be done is to check out the OP's profile , to see when the last visit was made by them!  Answer if you want to - or not!  The choice is yours! It's not rocket science! 

To my way of thinking, and as I said in my first reply, anything we can add may well be picked up by someone else tracking the same families, maybe next week, next year, or far into the future!  Someone may be picking up their own research after a few years or so, might even be my own kids picking up on my own research after I have croaked it!  😄

All of us know how exciting it is when we can find or share good hints, new information, contacts, posts that can lead ourselves and others further back, possible new contacts, etc etc!  That's what Rootschat is all about!  AND just because this website is free, it doesn't mean we have the right to criticise others who try to help us, (especially the mods who YES, do a great job - and all from the goodness of their hearts).

Here's a like from Jan and me JenB!  👍👍

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 05 March 17 10:09 GMT (UK) »
The last post sums it up nicely.

Topic closed.

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)