Author Topic: a trio of Garibaldi  (Read 906 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
a trio of Garibaldi
« on: Friday 03 March 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
It was in the now closed thread about unusual names that I mentioned Garibaldi Beetlestone, librarian of Smethwick and father of the bride of a relative. Then I found another, father of a bridegroom Garibaldi Osborne, so a double biscuit reference!

The new GRO records led me to a third one, his grandson born 1916 with Garibaldi as a middle name. I'm quite pleased about this. I doubt I'd be so pleased if my parents had saddled me with the name.....
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: a trio of Garibaldi
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 17 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully they were named after Giuseppe Garibaldi, not the biscuit, which is named after him. Still, no accounting for taste. ::)
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 March 17 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Garibaldi Beetlestone. Wonderful name. Was the surname Anglicised from Italian?
Cowban

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Garibaldi Beetlestone. Wonderful name. Was the surname Anglicised from Italian?

Not as far as I can see. Garibaldi was a hero to a lot of people, and playing with FreeBMD finds quite a number with that first name, especially in the 1860s. I've found Lloyd George, Baden Powell, Willliam Webb, William Gladstone as partial names and doubtless there are others. Generations of women were named Florence after just one person, initially!

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 March 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Garibaldi had a sidekick called Mazzini.

Sometime in the mid 1800s, so the story goes, they came over to Birmingham possibly with a view to buying some guns. Perhaps, they stayed with BENNETTs in that city.

I'm not quite sure how it arose but since then, certain members of the BENNETT clan have carried the middle name Mazzini.  The most recent was born just 2-3 years ago.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 March 17 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Garibaldi was a hero to a lot of people, and playing with FreeBMD finds quite a number with that first name, especially in the 1860s.

Victorians were prone to naming children after heroes, once they had done the duty of commemorating important members of the immediate family.  There was a noticeable outbreak of Horatio Nelsons for some years after 1805, not just in families called Nelson.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 March 17 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Just enter the forename of Mafeking into FreeBMD births in 1900 - males and females come up - with some poor child labelled as Mafeking Baden P H (wonder what P and H stand for?).  As a child I did meet a lady whose forename was Mafeking.

Added:

Search for National Probate Calendar records in - over 100 people with Mafeking as part of their name.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 March 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I once knew someone with the middle name Verdun.  He was born just after the start of that battle (it went on for almost 10 months).
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 March 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Just enter the forename of Mafeking into FreeBMD births in 1900 - males and females come up - with some poor child labelled as Mafeking Baden P H (wonder what P and H stand for?).  As a child I did meet a lady whose forename was Mafeking.

As it immediately follows Baden, I should lay even money that the P stood for Powell ?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young