Author Topic: Goodlad/Roberts Marriage Ashover  (Read 554 times)

Offline samhall_ogden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Goodlad/Roberts Marriage Ashover
« on: Friday 03 March 17 21:22 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the marriage details for Hannah Goodlad and John Roberts in Ashover  banns read 15 May 1842 I have found them on the Derbyshire select register and I have found the banns register on family search however when I sent to the records office for the certificate they said there was no record.

Does anyone have access to the actual registers?
Would you mind checking for me please?

Thanks from Sam

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Goodlad/Roberts Marriage Ashover
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 17 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sam

There is a groom missing from this record? Or could Hannah have married someone else?

Just a thought!

Marriages Dec 1843 
BLOOD    William        Bakewell    19   359    
FOX    Samuel               Bakewell    19   359
Goodlad    Hannah        Bakewell    19   359   **** 
LUCAS    Hannah        Bakewell    19   359    
REEVES    Martha        Bakewell    19   359   
WILDGOOSE    Hannah    Bakewell    19   359    
WRIGHT    William        Bakewell    19   359

Regards
Giggsy

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 March 17 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I was busy typing my reply during which Giggsy's must have been sent, and mine seems to have been lost...the gist of my message includes the "missing" spouse atBakewell in 1843..I have checked bot samuel  \fox and William Blood and neither lead to the correct Hannah........

Hannah Goodlad was baptised Ashover 21.12.1817..daughter of Samuel and Mary(ann)..John Roberts was NOT baptised at Ashover..neither of them are buried there.................(I do have the Ashover PR's)

However the 1851 Census has them both in Sheffield with three children born in Sheffield..the first in 1843..........John Roberts is from Matlock and is a Woodturner.............so they MUST have been married somewhere!! I'mm still looking..

Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline samhall_ogden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes Derek that's the ones their first child Mary is born in Ashover and on the 1841 census both John Roberts and Hannah are living in Ashover seperatley.
They then move to Sheffield by 1847 as their son Joseph is born there.

I can't find a birth for John in Matlock so I wanted the marriage to check the fathers name.

Thanks for your help

Offline samhall_ogden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 March 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Giggsy but not these.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 March 17 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sam..you might not have noticed on that 1841..a boarder name "Geudlad"..obviously Goodlad..listed as brother in law.....which would lead you to believe he is Hannah's brother........BUT not so apparently, because if you check him out he has  different parents to Hannah........and in 1841 he is living with those parents..along with a number of children called FOX.............see above my reference to SAMUEL FOX.....................make of it what you will.
There is still NO civil registration of a marriage between John Roberts and Hannah Goodlad..usually when you find a missing spouse on one entry...if you then enter the missing spouse(in this case John Roberts), the other spouse comes up...but not in this case.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline samhall_ogden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 March 17 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Hannah mentioned above marries William Blood in Matlock so it's not her.

The George mentioned is a bit strange as I have looked into both George's that are in Ashover at that time in Hannah's family there is one but not of a birth date to correlate with the date mentioned on the 1851 census for his birth.  The other George is present through out his life in Ashover. 

I think that the George who is in Hannah's family is him, he is with the parents in 1841, with Hannah in 1851 then there is a record of a George Goodlad joining the army in 1858 he isn't found again until 1881 where he is residing in Chesterfield with a Charlotte they are borders with another family and again in 1891 on all of these records his age is inconsistent. But I have been through every online Ashover record for Goodlads and pieced this together.  There is also another brother James who joins the army at the same time.

I wonder why they had the banns read if there's no marriage. But then went onto live together.
Do you have the actual parish records or is it a transcript? I wonder if there's anymore info listed in the actual register.

Thanks from Sam