Author Topic: Linguaglossa, Italy ancestors, please help...brick wall  (Read 1680 times)

Offline GreenAllie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Linguaglossa, Italy ancestors, please help...brick wall
« on: Friday 03 March 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello all! Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and potentially help :) I am trying to help my father locate any records of his ancestors in Linguaglossa, Italy. We have been using Ancestry.com, but are finding road blocks  :-\ I'm very new to this site, and to forums in general---I just signed up yesterday-- so please bare with me, as I am still learning the ins and outs of how to properly post in here. Thank you again to anyone who wants to help!  ;D

~~~~~~~~-------------
Starting with my father's father (my grandfather) I know that:
His name was Richard, EMMI. Born, c. 1920 in New York, USA. His birth name was Salvatore EMMI, and he had two siblings, Julius EMMI c. 1921 and Emily EMMI c. 1923.
Parents of Salvatore (Richard), Emily and Julius were: Salvatore EMMI c. 1891-3, Linguaglossa Italy and Josephine DEGRASSE c. 1898, Italy.

While we are sort of interested in Josephine's family, we're more concerned with Salvatore of 1891's lineage.

I'm aware of one sibling of Salvatore EMMI c. 1891 named Concetto EMMI. Also, I have located a 1915 New York Census listing, potentially, Salvatore and Concetto's mother, Francesca. Though in the information blurb on Ancestry states that "Francis EMMI" is a 47 year old male, upon looking at the actual document, I can see that "M" for male has been written over with "F" for female, and the occupation is "House Work(er?)"

So, in short....I am attempting to find Salvatore and Concetto's (and Francesca's) location in Italy, prior to 1912, any other relatives, and quite frankly, and other information any one wants to help me dig up! I will post a breakdown of the 1912 New York Census below. I can't thank any one who helps enough, as my father has traveled to Linguaglossa, Italy numerous times, but cannot find any info, as he does not speak the language. Thanks again!

June 1, 1915 New York State Census, Long Island City, Queens, NY
EMMI, "Francis", Head of house (F) Age: 47 Nativity: Italy Years in USA: 3 Status: Alien Occupation: Housemaker
EMMI, Salvator, Son, (M) Age: 22 Nativity: Italy Years in USA: 6 Status: Alien Occupation: Cigar Maker
EMMI, Concetto, Son, (M) Age: 19 Nativity: Italy Years in USA: 3 Status: Alien Occupation: Cigar Maker

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Linguaglossa, Italy ancestors, please help...brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 17 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Green Allie,

1912 PASSENGER LIST:
SS Konig Albert, arrived New York 3 May 1912,  (departed Naples 19 April 1912)
Line 14: Salvatore EMMI 21, Labourer
Line 15: Concetto EMMI 16
Their nearest relative in Italy: Moth(er), Francesca Emmi in Catania:  Linguaglossa .
They are going to a Cousin in Long Island City - what is the name of the cousin?

1912 PASSENGER LIST:
SS Oceania, arrived New York  1 Jul 1912) (departed Palermo 17 Jun 1912)
Francesca EMMI  (F), 47, W(idow), Housewife (4',11")
Giuseppa EMMI (F), 25, S(ingle), Dressmaker, (5',1")
Gaetana EMMI (F), 19, S(ingle), Dressmaker (5',o")
All: Natives of South Italy
All Never before in the US.
All last permanent residence of : Catania,  Linguaglossa
Their nearest relative in Italy: Brother-in-Law: Carmelo _ig__, Linguaglossa
All going to Long Island, to son Salvadore EMMI of 570 _______St, Long Island.

So, looks like 2 sisters of Salvatore & Concetto - Giuseppa b abt 1887 and  Gaetana b abt 1893.

But if I read you right, whilst compelling - it's not yet proven that this Salvatore, son of Francesca, is the same person as your  Salvatore EMMI c. 1891-3, Linguaglossa Italy (who later married  Josephine DEGRASSE) ?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline GreenAllie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 March 17 00:54 GMT (UK) »
AMBLY, you are stellar! While I did have those two records attached to Francesca Emmi, I was never able to actually READ the entirety of the documents....they are very erm...crowded.

In regards to the June 1, 1915 New York census I posted earlier, I did note that all three Emmi's lived at what appears to be a boarding house(?) located at 768 Vernon Ave, Long Island City, Queens NY. I have searched high and low for information about this place, because I do have a a 1917-18 Draft Registration card for "Concello" Emmi, born Linguaglossa, Italy on Dec 7 1895, who has a mother dependent upon him, living at 768 Vernon Ave. It's so easy to just swallow information and believe it to be true, but I want it to be factual as well.

What I'm curious to know is where is Francesca buried? I have found my family's plot in Flushing, with a bunch of other relatives...but no Francesca :(

Also, I have no idea who the cousin could be! Like I said, I was never actually able to read that information, as I am partially visually impaired.

What I don't understand is why I cannot find any information regarding any one's naturalization? I have searched all over the web, through various websites, paid and free...to no avail. Did an immigrant not have to be naturalized in order to have draft registration papers? In regards to draft registration papers, I also have a 1942, WWII draft registration document for Concetto Emmi, which I'll attach below. I know for a fact that he lived at the location listed on this document, as my father had gone there in his childhood (98th St. Corona, NY)

I am starting to get very erm....swamped over here. All I would like to do is bridge the gap from USA to Linguaglossa, Italy, so I can take it from there. Who knows if that is even possible. Thank you again for any assistance!

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 March 17 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Did Salvatore die 1 Jun 1968?
There is a record in the Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records on ancestry for a Salvatore Fu Giuseppe Emmi born 1892 who registered in 1932 age 40.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 March 17 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Did Salvatore die 1 Jun 1968?
There is a record in the Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records on ancestry for a Salvatore Fu Giuseppe Emmi born 1892 who registered in 1932 age 40.

Or is it this one?
Salvatore Emmi
SSN - 074-09-7456
Last Residence - 13219 Syracuse, Onondaga, New York, USA   
born 6 May 1893 Died - Apr 1987

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 March 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »
SALVATORE EMMI

WW1 1917-1918: WW1 Registraton Card: 

Salvatore EMMI
Single: age 26, born 28 May 1891, Linguaglossa, Italy
Residence: 768 Verona, Long Island
Occupation: Cigar Maker at 512 Hamilton St,  for Dr Nobilo Sigar Co.
Dependant: Widow mother

1942: WW2 Registration (old man's draft):
Salvatore EMMI
Age 50, born 28 May 1891 Linguaglossa, Italy
Residence: 3433 - 98th St, Corona NYC
Nearest Relative: Mrs Josephine A EMMI of 3433 - 98th St, Corona
Employer: Palumbo Cigar Co.

1951: TRAVEL :
Salvatore (60) and Josephine (47)  arrived back in NY on 26 Dec 1951 after having departed Genoa, Italy.  The had been on a 3 month holiday to Italy, having left New York on 30 Sep 1951 bound for Messina. Their Address 3722 Bowne Street, Flushing. The ountgoing passenger list states Salvatore was naturalised on 19 Nov 1917 at NYC, NY.

1956 SS CLAIM: SS Index:
Salvatore EMMI - Born 28 May 1891. Life Claim 29 Feb 1956

Because of the address' that are known to GreenAllie, and the name of his wife Josephine, this is the correct Salvatore EMMI.

The above also ties in with Concetto EMMI:

1917 WW1 Registration :  Concetto EMMI, age 21 of 768 Verona, Long Island City.
DoB: 7 Dec 1895,  Linguaglossa, Alien, single, Dependant Mother.
Works for: Leo Lapelina at 689 Verona

1940: Naturalisation Index
Petition 277658
Concetto EMMI,  age 44, residence: 34-33, 98st, Corona, Queens NY.
Admitted & Issued: 2 Jul 1940, in the Court of Brooklyn, New York.

1942 WW2 : Concetto EMMI  is at 34-33, 98st, Corona, Queens NY, when he fills in his 'Old Man's Draft registration for WW2. Age 46, DoB: 8 Dec 1895, Linguaglossa. He works for Carmine Dello Vecchio of 49-11 Vernon Ave, Long Island. Relative who knows his location: Mr Salvatore EMMI of 34-33, 98st, Corona, Queens NY (being the address that GreenAllie's father had visited)

There was an older Salvatore EMMI  running about Long Island  too - Mentioning this in case there proves to be a connection sometime - seems to be the same person in the 2 following WW registrations
:
WW1 Draft# 3028 - 466a
Salvatore EMMI age 36, born 12 Sep 1882, Italy, Alien
Residence: 608 Hamilton, Long Island
Nearest Relative: Venero EMMI of 608 Hamilton, Long Island

WW1 Draft # 2771-1838
Salvatore EMMI age 37, born 1 Mar 1881, Italy, has Declared (intent to Naturalise)
Residence: 608 Hamilton, Long Island
Occupation: Grocer, employed by Salvatore EMMI, at 81 Graham, Long Island
Nearest Relative: Venero EMMI of 608 Hamilton, Long Island

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline GreenAllie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 March 17 02:47 GMT (UK) »
AMBLY: I can't believe how much information you can find! You put me to shame!

How on earth do I go about finding the actual naturalization paper? Do you think I would have to go to NYC, NY? I am in CT, which isn't too far away. I've tried finding this through Ancestry, either by typing in his name, or the precise date...again, to no avail. I think I've ancestry-ed enough tonight though. Seriously, you guys are amazing! My father is a very happy man right now :)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 March 17 02:59 GMT (UK) »
I've found the Birth Registration document for Concetta EMMI ,  7 December 1895 in  Linguaglossa.
Salvatore's brother. He (Concetto) wrote his DoB on WW1 Registration as 7 Dec 1895.

Cobbled together some basic knowledge of Spanish and even less of Italian  ;D

It's on Family Search - go here:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2043496

* Click "Browse through 434,962 images"
* Click "Catania"
* Scroll Down, find and click "Linguaglossa "
* Click "Nati 1894-1910 Indici decennali (nati) 1886-1895 Pubblicazioni 1894-1898"
* Where it has " Image Number 1 of 2663"
        highlight the 1 and type in "258" and enter.

There are two records on the page - .  Concetto EMMI is the bottom half entry.   

I'll try getting a translate - but Italian speakers watching this thread - dive in  ;D  ;D  ;D

You need to register with Family Search to be able to see the image (but it's free to do so).

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 March 17 03:22 GMT (UK) »
OK, so does it say in part....(paraphrase)?:

On at 9:30 am on 7 December 1895, Salvatore EMMI appeared before the clerk at the Municipal Court for Linguaglossa, and declared that he had a child to register, born of his wife Francesca EMMI and the child is a boy, named Concetto EMMI

......born 7 November. edit: thinks that's wrong? 

Cheers
AMBLY