Author Topic: James Patterson OREILLY  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Carol Carmen Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Patterson OREILLY
« on: Saturday 04 March 17 09:48 GMT (UK) »
I only have that James Patterson Came to South Africa. Records very scant only that he was born about 1832, did marry Sophia Elizabeth Pieterse?Petersen in SA in 1857 and did have 6 children all born in south africa. all ancestors to this point accounted for.  He was a cordwainer.  This all happened in Cape Town. 2 daughters Martha(married Johan Thaysen) and Mary (married Nickolas Copanna) into my research pattern.
Find no record that he was born in South Africa.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: JAMES PATTERSON OREILLY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 17 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol and welcome to rootschat.

I'm sorry I can't help with your query, I've looked on the few South African data bases I have used in my own research in the past and haven't found anything, but perhaps if you ask a moderator to move it to the South African board you may get some helpful replies - lots of helpful, knowledgeable people there.  :D

Click on the "report to moderator" button and leave a message there.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Patterson OREILLY
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 April 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
I only have that James Patterson Came to South Africa. Records very scant only that he was born about 1832, did marry Sophia Elizabeth Pieterse?Petersen in SA in 1857 and did have 6 children all born in south africa. all ancestors to this point accounted for.  He was a cordwainer.  This all happened in Cape Town. 2 daughters Martha(married Johan Thaysen) and Mary (married Nickolas Copanna) into my research pattern.
Find no record that he was born in South Africa.

Hi Carol. I am not quite sure what information you are looking for. Please would you clarify what you are missing and would like more details on.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
James oreilly born about 1832 and from possibly Dublin.  was active in Cape Town from 1851-1886 as per census records. Do not know and when he got to Cape Town.
Sophia Elizabeth Pieterse is another guess whom he married as no records available either.
Records of their marriage and children are the only proof I have that they exist. All born from 1858 to 1872.
There is a possibility that he could have been on ships crew which landed him in Simonstown SA but cannot pinpoint that at the moment.

Was a bootmaker all the years quoted  (1851-1886)
Also (for what its worth) There was  James Patterson from Killashandra Ireland had leather works in the time of 1846 or so.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 August 17 13:56 BST (UK) »
I am still not quite sure what you are after. Are you looking for his birth, or the date he arrived in South Africa?  You say you have his marriage to Sophia as well as the names of all his children. Are you are looking for more information on Sophia and the children?  If so, please give the date of marriage as well as the names of the children.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 August 17 08:24 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find James & Sophia roots as my husbands family are part of the 2 daughters, Mary Ann married Nickolas Copana and Martha married Johan Andreas Thaysen(Denmark) and both  married and lived in Cape Town

James Patterson Oreilly born  1832 assume he is Irish from the merchant crew list of 1850
married Sophia Elizabeth Pieterse born about 1836
married 27.7.1857 in Cape Town-St Georges Church Registry
Mary Ann Alice Oreilly b 27.4.1858
Ellen Catherine Francis Oreilly b 6.10.1860
Martha Wilhelmina Josephina Oreilly b 30.7.1863
John Herman Oreilly b 7.5.1866 d. 18.11.1900 had no ofspring
Dorethea Fredricka Oreilly b 7.5.1866
Caroline Oreilly b 24.11.1872

Hope this helps you and feel free to ask any other queries you might have.
Thanks for responding