Author Topic: McLelland family Bushmills ,Antrim area.  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Alma

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McLelland family Bushmills ,Antrim area.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 February 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the Census records.  I did note the McFadden family in the Census records. 
The McClelland family listed in the 1901/1911 census records in Bushmills, headed by James, with a daughter Catherine I believe is that of James, (b 1868 "McClellan") son of Charles & Catherine Magee McClelland.  Catherine died in 1877 and Charles married in 1878 to Belinda/Melinda McCaw and at the time of his 1878 marriage, a widower, he stated his father was "James" - a fisherman.  I note a Sarah McClelland witness at this 1878 marriage.   Unfortunately the paper trail for connections between James & Catherine Allan McClelland and these families isn't conclusive but is a tad enticing.   Thanks again!

Offline Cynthia McCaughan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 08:23 GMT (UK) »
The McClellands of Dunseverick I am currently researching. There were a number of James McClellands which are quite confusing. Charles McClelland who married twice and had big families was the son of James - I believe Charles also had a brother called James. I have got quite a bit of info on a couple of lines, which each have a James McClelland b c 1868. I would be interested in finding the family of William Brown McClelland  (son of James and Catherine Allen)and Sarah McCaughan, my great grandfather's sister.  Another connection is to Thomas son of Charles. If anyone wants to pursue this further I am on facebook and I have a tree on Ancestry Tree for All.
Alma I am in contact with a descendant of Catherine and James daughter Sarah Ann Jane.
There is an excellent wee book written in 2007 called the Fishermen of Dunseverick which details some of this family, mainly those still alive into the 20th Century.
cheers
Cynthia

Offline Alma

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update Cynthia.  I must look out for that book.   We have been in touch recently - and "Alma" is actually a pen-name.   Work on the McCellands/Allan/ folks continues. 

Offline Alma

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 March 18 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the responses everyone...I am using irishgenealogy.ie to check things out and also have access to 1901 & 1911 Irish census.   The spelling of the Surname is a bit of a problem but I will continue on! 

Offline BMck11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I have a Neil McLelland born 1896 according to the 1901 and 1911 Ireland census in the Bushmills area . Neil ended up in Scotland but looking for any info in the rest of the family as not much else is known .

Hi there,

Just stumbled across this website and this comment. I believe that Neil is my great grandfather. His daughter Elizabeth is my grandmother if this is the correct person, will confirm his date of birth with her when I see her later today. Is there anything else you may know about the family tree and his parent as looking to learn more!

Offline BMck11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Continuing from my previous post.

Neil Mclleland(great grandfather) moved to Scotland and married there. I’m born and brought up in Scotland and my gran (Elizabeth) is second youngest child of her parents. As far as I’m aware, my grans is the last remaining child of Neil’s 8 children.
My sister is compiling a family tree with dates and names but any information that is known about my great grandfather or his parents would be greatly appreciated!
I saw a comment on this thread that stated that he had enlisted in the war, I can confirm that during WW2 he returned to NI from Scotland and enlisted there, he was however based in Glasgow. I am pretty unaware of relatives further back than Neil, as gran spent most of her life in Glasgow and only visited NI and bush mill occasionally.

I am aware that this thread hasn’t been active but if anyone sees this I’d be more that happy to chat and tell you what I know and vice versa.

Beth

* note my gran appears as Lizzie in census and birth/marriage records but goes by full name Elizabeth

Offline LLQDouglas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 March 20 00:57 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother's name was Catherine McLelland, born to James in 1890 in Bushmills.   There were 18 children in her family altogether.   She had one sister Mary who went to Australia.   Some of the names of her brothers were James, Willie, Daniel and Neil.   Catherine moved to Glasgow after WW1 and married Hugh Bryans.   They moved to Canada in the 1920s? with their family.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 March 20 13:07 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother's name was Catherine McLelland, born to James in 1890 in Bushmills.   There were 18 children in her family altogether.   She had one sister Mary who went to Australia.   Some of the names of her brothers were James, Willie, Daniel and Neil.   Catherine moved to Glasgow after WW1 and married Hugh Bryans.   They moved to Canada in the 1920s? with their family.

Catherine was born 1892 not 1890-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1892/02361/1881782.pdf
According to 1911 census James McClelland & Mary McDonald had 14 children (13 living).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Bushmills/Bushmills_town__part_of_/127222/
They married in 1888 and daughter Caroline born a few months later-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10771/5928418.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1889/02489/1923378.pdf

Counting the children in 1901 and 1911 census records not sure if they did have 18 children although you can check to see-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!