Author Topic: London foundling hospital  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Hyphae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: London foundling hospital
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 February 18 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Do you still need info from the archives? I am heading there later this week and can do some research for you. I am very familiar with these records, which are excellent...you have a petition number which makes life much easier!

Bruce

Offline CuriousKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello, sorry for the late reply.
If you have not already been, i would be forever grateful if you could have a look?  :)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I have a Foundling baptised at the London Foundling Hospital in 1757.

I ordered his papers from the LMA -- and I am so pleased that I did -- from memory they cost £50 - but to me it was worth it.

They told me who had given him his name -- this was a Mr Hatsell I was most grateful to Mr Hatsell as he was given the first name of Gustavus, easy to trace. The papers revealed where he was sent to be nursed (by a Trissenah Friday!) -- and the fact that he was then sent to Ackworth in Yorkshire (an outstation then of the Foundling hospital). He was aged only 6 at the time --- and sent out of Ackworth as an apprentice to a Farmer (I was given the name).

In addition the clothes he was wearing when he was admitted were described and the mother had left no token (meaning that she did not intend to return for him).

He remained in Yorkshire, married and had his own family. I was really pleased that he was brought up in a rural community after what I suppose would have been a harder life in London.

In addition - had he not been sent to Yorkshire -- I wouldn't be here!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline smizo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 April 18 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
Did you ever find out anything more about Emma Brook ( I am a direct descendant of the Cowderoy family) thanks.