Author Topic: Hurleys, Kilmanoge, Cork  (Read 436 times)

Offline Peter Hurley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hurleys, Kilmanoge, Cork
« on: Saturday 04 March 17 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information about Hurley family from Kilmanoge (Knockleigh), Cork. Near Kinsale. My great great grandfather Denis Hurley (married to Catharine Sullivan - possibly from Kerry) and family moved to Peterborough, Canad as part of the 1825 Peter Robinson Emigration. I have hit a brickwall with online researches as to Irish history. Would appreciate any info about the family in Ireland. I plan to make a trip to Ireland in the next couple years. Any suggestions as to most appropriate places to visit for research purposes would also be much appreciated. Thank you! Peter

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hurleys, Kilmanoge, Cork
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 March 17 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information about Hurley family from Kilmanoge (Knockleigh), Cork. Near Kinsale. My great great grandfather Denis Hurley (married to Catharine Sullivan - possibly from Kerry) and family moved to Peterborough, Canad as part of the 1825 Peter Robinson Emigration. I have hit a brickwall with online researches as to Irish history. Would appreciate any info about the family in Ireland. I plan to make a trip to Ireland in the next couple years. Any suggestions as to most appropriate places to visit for research purposes would also be much appreciated. Thank you! Peter
Hello Denis & welcome to Rootschat. Did Denis & Catherine marry in Ireland? You will have to rely on Church Records as civil registration wasnt introduced in Ireland until 1864. Can you give approx year of birth for Denis. How do you know the place of origin i.e Kilmanoge Cork for Denis was it from the Tithe Applotment records as this shows a record for a Denis Hurley in this location Rgds

Offline Peter Hurley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 March 17 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Denis was born in 1787. Catharine in 1785. No wedding date, but first child Bridget was born in 1806. Thank you for the prompt response! Peter

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 March 17 23:17 GMT (UK) »
You can check the RC Church records online at www.registers.nli.ie but all parishes will cover varying years & may not go back to the time of your interest. You could also check www.irishgenealogy.ie Diocese of Cork & Ross

Offline Peter Hurley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 March 17 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks!
Peter