Author Topic: Gaelic translation of McGilichallum or McGillichallum  (Read 848 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gaelic translation of McGilichallum or McGillichallum
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 September 17 10:52 BST (UK) »
I think son of the servant of Malcolm, MacGilliechallum is the patronymic of Macleod of Lewis.

Skoosh.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
Re: Gaelic translation of McGilichallum or McGillichallum
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 04:38 BST (UK) »
I would however be interested in how the above theory of son of Gilbert came about because there was a Gilbert a few generations down the line in the family I am researching.

What were the names of the children in order of the person who you believe to be the son of 'McGilichallum' as this may be a clue?

Is he referred to as 'his name' then 'McGilichallum'?

The context of things can make a difference.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.