Author Topic: Seghill as 'Segul/Segil'? Does that make sense.  (Read 3800 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seghill as 'Segul/Segil'? Does that make sense.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 March 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
There is also this baptism in Hartburn

Mary Hall born Feb 24 1811 baptised Feb 26 1811 Third daughter of Alexander Hall of Longwitton Garden House and Isabella his wife heretofore Andrews Native of Tughall in the Parish of Bamborough.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 March 17 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Mary Hall born Feb 24 1811 baptised Feb 26 1811 Third daughter of Alexander Hall of Longwitton Garden House and Isabella his wife heretofore Andrews Native of Tughall in the Parish of Bamborough.

I am rather confused now, because when I look at the 1851 census entry at Gallow Hill that Ilona mentioned, I see that Isabella's birthplace could well be read as Tugil, which fits with the detail given on this baptism.

But in that case who is the Isabella Hall with daughter Isabella Harwood in 1851  :-\  Or is this another family completely, coincidentally containing an Isabella Harwood and an Isabella Hall  :-\

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 March 17 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Is this not the same family in 1851?

HO 107 / 2404 / 13 / 18
Benwell
Absent, head, mar, millwright
Isabella Harwood, wife, mar, 26, Durham West Auckland
Edmond do, son, 8, do do
Jane do, daur, 6, Northumberland Benwell
Mary do, daur, 5 months, do do
Isabella Hall, wife mother, widow, 70, Northumberland ? Preston

I see that Isabella junior's husband Stanwix, a 'working engineer' is a lodger in Hull in 1851, which accounts for his 'absence' from this household in 1851. With him is a Robert Hall I think Edmond and Jane are the children of his first marriage to Jane Hodgson (died 1845)

I'm still confused  :-\  Has Isabella senior been enumerated twice?

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 March 17 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm back,
Thanks for being patient with me.

So here is how I have traced this family back so far. It's a complicated one with a few moves and missing records, and remarriages which makes it more confusing.

According to what I've worked out . .

My 2 times Great Grandfather was Ralph Harwood b 1855 in Grimsby

His parents were

Stanwix Harwood b 1817 d 1860, Whorlton Durham. His name is sometimes written as Stanwick. On the 1851 census it says he is an engineer which may account for the moving about. It's difficult to find in transcribed records because of the odd name.

and

Isabella Hall, born 1826 in Durham.  They married in 1847 in Durham. Unfortunately I've never found any banns records for this which would have been useful.

What I know for certain is that in 1861 on the census she was living with her mother, Isabella Hall. (Who may be Isabella Andrews or not)

For clarity I'll now refer to the mother as Isabella the elder and the daughter as Isabella the younger.

So in 1861 Isabella the younger is a widow, Stanwix having died. She is head of the household on the census. She is still going by the name of Isabella Harwood. Her mother, Isabella the elder, known as Isabella Hall is living with her. As is Ralph,my 2 times Great Grandfather. 

Reference:

Class: RG 9; Piece: 3803; Folio: 30; Page: 21; GSU roll: 543189

What makes this all slightly confusing is that there is some dispute about where Ralph was born, and the same applies to his sister Sarah b 1857.

The 1861 census seems to read Lancashire for Ralph and Sarah as a place of birth.

The 1871 census (by which time his mother, Isabella the younger has now remarried and is living with a Michael Buckley, has both Ralph and Sarah Harwood as being born in Great Grimsby. Ralph and Sarah are both living with Isabella the younger and Michael Buckley, and their half siblings.

Reference:

Class: RG10; Piece: 5025; Folio: 76; Page: 30; GSU roll: 848490

The 1881 census (by which time he has moved out on his own and is married) also has his place of birth as Great Grimsby.

So it's a confusing family, but, I think that Ralph Harwood is the son of Isabella the younger, (Hall, then Harwood, then Buckley) and that she is the daughter of Isabella the older, who when married was known as Isabella Hall but who may or may not have been born Isabella Andrews.

If your still with my you need a cup of tea! I certainly do!
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 March 17 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention that as Jen B pointed out it seems that Stanwix was married twice and that Isabella the younger was his second wife.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 March 17 18:44 GMT (UK) »
What makes this all slightly confusing is that there is some dispute about where Ralph was born, and the same applies to his sister Sarah b 1857.

The 1861 census seems to read Lancashire for Ralph and Sarah as a place of birth.

The birth is definitely registered in Lincolnshire. I wonder if what she wrote on the census form was mis-read as Lancashire?

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 March 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the censuses where Isabella Junior is married to Michael Buckley her place of birth is given consistently as Dunston or Whickham (1851 has it as West Auckland but I think it is her stepson Edmond who was actually born there).

I, therefore, run this  up the flagpole as a possible baptism for her in Whickham

27 May 1825 Isabella daughter of Ralph and Isabella Hall. Abode: Dunston. Occupation: Keelman and his wife.

William

Added. I do actually think in this case getting hold of her two marriage certs. to give her father's name and occupation would be well worth doing.

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 06 March 17 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Further to the above Ralph and Isabella Hall seem to have had a number of children baptised in Whickham - they suggest that Isabella's surname was Middleton.

This is the baptism of John Hall Born March 1st 1807 Bap 29th March 2nd son of Ralph Hall, Keelman,Native of this parish by his wife Isabella, Daur of John Middleton, Native of Earsdon Parish.

... and for Ralph Hall Born Born Aug 18 1809 Bap Dec 24 3rd son of Ralph Hall, Keelman, Native of this Parish by his wife Isabella Daur of John Middleton,Native of North Shields.

Other children from Family Search appear to be Thomas bap 26 March 1815, Robert 11 Nov 1818 and Margaret 6 June 1821.

William

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 06 March 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Added. I do actually think in this case getting hold of her two marriage certs. to give her father's name and occupation would be well worth doing.

I agree completely, I was about to make exactly the same comment. You need some concrete evidence of her father's name.

Added: by the way Isabella Hall and Stanwix Harwood were married in Newcastle upon Tyne, not Durham.