Author Topic: This branch of the RIDLER family has me confused.  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: This branch of the RIDLER family has me confused.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Sarah RIDLER (nee HOOKER) and William George GREY :

It appears that William George GREY left his wife and 8 children in Auckland probably around 1905.   [He's probably the William George GREY - insurance agent - at Hamilton - on the 1905-06 Waikato e/roll ?]

William George GREY (born 1868 in Northland), married at the age of 18 years to Margaret McCABE in 1886.   Although Post Office directories give them a common address for a couple of years, their "togetherness" is not borne out on the e/rolls.   Three of their sons who enlisted for WW1 service, all gave their mother's name as next-of-kin ... and can also be found sharing an Auckland address with her over the years ... it's not until late 1930's that WG GREY, now retired, is back with family.

By 1938 WG GREY had returned to Auckland and was living in the same Vincent Avenue (or Road) area as some of his adult children and his estranged wife.     When Margaret  GREY died in 1943, her husband was not mentioned in her death notice.  (He died 1951).

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH19430924.2.2.5

----

All this garnered information relating to William George GREY seemed a bit "airy-fairy" for a while > esp. his leaving a wife and 8 children ... and later (sort of) returning to them  ::) > ... and it wasn't until I re-read the 2nd Probate file for Sarah RIDLER (HOOKER) that I realised the significance of the year, 1951.

~ Lu                                                                                          continues  next  >>

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 22:39 GMT (UK) »
William George GREY :

Otahuhu Cemetery - Auckland

Headstone transcription :

"IMO William George GREY who died 13 June 1951- aged 84 years."

Link to Probate file >

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSZD-G9KS-L?i=208&cc=1865481&cat=2240878
[He had specified in his Will ... "I direct that my dead body shall be cremated and my ashes thrown to the four winds". ? ]
---------

Sarah RIDLER (HOOKER's) 2nd Probate file is dated 1951 and concerns an Application for Administration of her estate by her son and heir, Frederick William Thomas RIDLER following the discovery of a Post Office Savings Bank account at Palmerston North in the (partial) name of Sarah HOOKER.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L97B-44R3?mode=g&i=444&cc=1865481

Of importance though is the son's statement at No. 11 where he describes the delay in applying for administration was due to the fact that the existence of the POSB account .... "was only brought to my notice on 18 August, 1951, by a solicitor who received the (POSB) Pass Book along with some other papers in another matter."

Note:   It does seem very probable that the Pass Book was amongst the papers of the recently deceased William George GREY, whose estate was being wound up during the month's of July and August of 1951.

~  Lu

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 March 17 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Lu,
Gosh you have really been busy and your help is invaluable in sorting out this branch of the family. Your flash of brilliance in noticing the date of William's death and linking it to the new probate for Sarah and tying them together is quite amazing.
My thoughts, so far, William George was overwhelmed by wife & 8 children, did a runner with May, surname unknown and fate unknown, maybe he tired of her, or was lured away by the charms of Sarah and when she died he finally decided that as he is getting older maybe he should return to the family and try to make amends. I like his statement "my ashes thrown to the four winds" , but if he has a Headstone maybe he wasn't.  In his will, son George seems to only gets his inheritance in stages, must be a reason there.  Cannot understand what he means in his codicil, especially, "one moiety of the capital of the expectant contingent or vested share" ???
The probate of Jane HOOKER gives her place of birth and also that of some of the children, and the Obituary of Mr.F Hooker also has a lot of family information. So will take a wee while to digest all this. Have emailed the Palmerston library for the death notice for Sarah, their website says they have family research helpers, so will await the arrival of same.
Many thanks
HeatherR
Lanarkshire=Robertson-Ross-Russell-Neilson.
Staffordshire= Harrison-Jackson-Round
London=Poswillo-Hyams-Karby-Dossett-Baram-Detloff-Hyman
Gibralter=Poswillo
Dorset= Attwooll-Read-Northover
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 March 17 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Here is the Death Notice for Sarah,was lurking in Hotmail, very good service from the library.
HeatherR
Gibralter=Poswillo
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 March 17 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Have been doing some tidying up and searching and there is another BROKER birth with Mary Ann and Father NR. A'try have the birth at Christchurch. Haven't found anything more on Ethel as yet as a Brooker, Broker or Phipps. There is an Ethel PHIPPS marriage in 1911, but she would be only 13 so probably not her. But will keep trying.
HeatherR
Gibralter=Poswillo
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 March 17 01:18 GMT (UK) »
The next exciting instalment!.
Went to the Library this morning and checked the fiche records.
Vera, Winnie, Albert & Douglas were all registered as PHIPPS in their Year of Birth, but on the 1917 list are down as RIDDLER.  On NZBDM spelt correctly with only 1 “D”
PHIPPS Stanley George death 1907/3587 (31 Mar 1907) buried as Stanley George RIDLER but unable to find birth 1906 or 1907 as BROKER, BROOKER, RIDLER or PHIPPS.
  Grey hair moment = can’t remember if I tried the 2 “D” spelling or not!
The Ethel BROKER in previous post died 6 Feb 1916 age 17 as BROOKER in “Nurse English’s Private Hospital Hastings”.  And on 9 Feb 1916 Harriet BROOKER died at Napier Hospital age 39.
Dying so close together thought they may have been in an accident but no newspaper report of one found so far.
They are both buried in the same grave at Hastings Cemetery, no headstone, plot bought by William BROOKER, uncle of Ethel.  Harriet & Ethel are “Late of Ashburton” where there seem to have been a whole lot of BROOKER families.   
William’s parents are Emily & William whereas Mary Ann’s are Emma & William and not knowing where Mary Ann was born there may well be two Williams, one with an Emma and the other with an Emily.
Have just looked at my Grandmother’s 1885 birth cert and there is a lot of information there so may lash out on a printout of Mary Ann’s birth to see if she is connected to the Ashburton family or not.
Cheers
HeatherR.

Gibralter=Poswillo
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 March 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »

Have just looked at my Grandmother’s 1885 birth cert and there is a lot of information there so may lash out on a printout of Mary Ann’s birth to see if she is connected to the Ashburton family or not.
Cheers
HeatherR.

Hi Heather ... hold on to your $$.   ;)

I looked at this family earlier - (and had explored a bit further when I found the somewhat puzzling  death notices for the two BROOKER girls).
Just hadn't got around to posting on here but will do so shortly.

~  Lu

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Lu,
Thank you, have put it back into the piggy bank for next time. ;D
HeatherR
Gibralter=Poswillo
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 March 17 00:26 BST (UK) »

The Ethel BROKER in previous post died 6 Feb 1916 age 17 as BROOKER in “Nurse English’s Private Hospital Hastings”.  And on 9 Feb 1916 Harriet BROOKER died at Napier Hospital age 39.

They are both buried in the same grave at Hastings Cemetery, no headstone, plot bought by William BROOKER, uncle of Ethel.  Harriet & Ethel are “Late of Ashburton” where there seem to have been a whole lot of BROOKER families.   

Hi Heather

The death notices for these BROOKER women, were rather "odd" I thought. [Although it's only after searching a bit further, that I found there was a connection.]
Strange ... deaths three days apart ... separate death notices but published same day ... and family not mentioned for either of them ???

However, the info I gathered, differed slightly from yours above, so will add it here.  ;)

* Ethel BROOKER - d. 6 February 1916 ... aged 17 and a half years (as per death notice).
[This fits well with the birth registration for Ethel BROKER - 3rd quarter 1898 - at Christchurch. ]

*  Only Harriet BROOKER is identified as being formerly of "Ashburton".
[Didn't find her on any electoral rolls. ]

Incidentally, the names BROKER and BROOKER are interchangeable for the many records found for this particular family.

Ethel BROOKER and Harriet BROOKER are not actually in the "same grave".
The Hastings Cemetery Burial records show the following :

Plot 102**.  - purchased 10 February 1916 - BROOKER - Harriett - 10 Feb. 1916

Plot 103.  - purchased 7 February 1916 - BROOKER - Ethel - 7 February 1916
                                                          - NOONAN* - Clarice - 23 May 1926

Wm. BROOKER is noted as being the purchaser of both of these plots.

[*  NOONAN - Clarice - buried 23 May 1926 :   
This lady appears to have been "Clarice Emily BROOKER" - born 1898, the daughter of Henry BROOKER and Eilleen (spelling ?) Margaret BROOKER (commonly known as Margaret).
Clarice Emily BROOKER had married Thomas NOONAN in 1923. ]

**    And while it isn't noted in the Burial records, the online Hastings Cemetery record shows the following interment in Plot 102 - with Harriet BROOKER :

NOONAN (Premature Child) - buried 17-2-1925
-------

My guess it that these two BROOKER women may have died of sickness (rather than in an accident).   Possibly Harriet was a recent arrival in Hawke's Bay?   Just a hunch.   They were though related - being niece and aunt.  ;)   More to follow.

~  Lu                                                                                        see next >>