Author Topic: Isabella Marshall MS Stirling  (Read 1493 times)

Offline annecannes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Marshall MS Stirling
« on: Sunday 05 March 17 03:58 GMT (UK) »
I have a death record for my paternal grandmotherx3 age 80 in Kirkintilloch in1895 with parents (both deceased) James Stirling a cotton manufacturer and Janet Martin. I have her marrying David Marshall in Gorbals in 1846 and a birth record for her in 1815. The only Census where I could link her to siblings is 1841 but I can only find a Scots born Isabella Stirling of the right age working in England! I have found a James and Janet Stirling with chidren born 1799 -1810 and another James and Janet with children 1816 - 1829. As I have no idea when James and Janet were born it is hard to look for death certificates to narrow things down - any ideas please

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Marshall MS Stirling
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 March 17 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Is it possible you could lost all the siblings with names & birth dates please as there are other ways of finding info?

Were they all listed on 1841?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline annecannes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 March 17 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the prompt response. The one lot I transcribed were from 1841 the other lot I shall have to check as  someone else helped me find them. I do much of my research  at our local FHS. The names are. From 1841 Census
James Stirling 68 b 1773 Dumbartonshire shoemaker
Janet    "        65    1776 Scotland
John     "        19    1822 Dumbarton
Robert  "        12    1829    "
John  Murray     5    1836   "
Jane Stirling    25    1816   "
Some of them look like grandchildren rather than children ?

The other list that I will have to find source for  - parents  James Stirling and Janet Martin
James 28/6/1803 Kirkintilloch
Janet 18/4/1807   "
Margaret 4/1/1810  "
William Chris 11/10/1801
John  Bapt  27/10/1799  birth 21/10/1799
I suspect it might be from Family Search - there is a folio no 1041997
My computer is runnung very slow but hope this makes some sense to you!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
author=annecannes link=topic=766645.msg6186775#msg6186775 d
I suspect it might be from Family Search
You may have found it there, but that is not the original source.

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

You will get a better transcription at http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl but if you are using a transcription you should still plan to check the original document online at Scotland's People, or on microfilm at a library.

Note, in particular, that the UK census never lists a year of birth, and that ages in 1841 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years. Therefore any UK census information that includes a 'year of birth' is a transcription, and you can see the potential for misinterpreting a transcription!

The index at SP lists five children of James Stirling and Janet Martin, all baptised in Kirkintilloch:
John, 27 October 1799
William, 11 October 1801
Janet, 18 April 1807
Margaret, 4 January 1910
Isabella, 28 June 1815

There is also a James, baptised 28 June 1803, but that record omits his mother's name.

You can view all of these baptism records at Scotland's People, or at a library that has, or can borrow, the microfilm of the Kirkintilloch Parish Register.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,

I'm not sure how far forward you have the family re census', marriages or deaths but if both men from the 2 couples have different occupations this should help you?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Re the second family. Your transcription has John, aged 19. There is a John Stirling, son of James Stirling and Janet Miller, baptised in Kirkintilloch on 22 June 1823.

There is a marriage of a James Stirling to a Janet Miller in Glasgow in 1784, but this can't be the couple in the 1841 census, because they were aged 68 and 65, therefore born about 1772/3 and 1775/6 respectively (or, possibly, 1771/6) and would not have been old enough to marry in 1784. This must be a different couple with the same names.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Providing Janet Martin died after 1855 she will be recorded under her maiden surname as well as her marital surname.

You can search under both which will have the same Index no. to verify & the Index is now FREE.

You need to check when she was last on a census to narrow down years for a death as with James.

If they died pre 1855 it's doubtful they will have been recorded although not impossible.

Annie

Offline annecannes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 March 17 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the messages and information - particularly the one with Isabella and her older siblings which was the link I was missing.  I shall certainly follow up at SP and hopefully Janet lived long enough to have a death certificate post 1855!
Warm regards,
Anne