Author Topic: Henry Pike/Pyke Horsham  (Read 2076 times)

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
  • Mayfield House - Tasmania
    • View Profile
Henry Pike/Pyke Horsham
« on: Sunday 05 March 17 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone may be able to supply extra info on Henry Pike's children, or on his parents and spouse.   Henry married Hannah Paine 24 June 1793 at Horsham, Sussex.  They had 3 known children: Joseph, Henry and Richard William. Henry Snr and his sons Joseph and Henry, along with Joseph's wife Mary (Huntly), were convicted of larceny. Joseph and Henry Jnr were sent to Tasmania. Joseph's wife was sent to NSW.  Richard William married Sarah Ann Emery in Hampshire and they went to Sth Australia aboard the HMS Buffalo in 1836.   Henry Snr's parents were Thomas and Mary. He had two brothers I know of, Charles and richard, both baptised 8 Sept 1759 at Horsham.
I have all I need on Henry's 3 sons I have listed, but Henry Snr's fate after he was sent to the prison hulk "Hardy" or details on his spouse and his parents, would be much appreciated.  Joseph is my Great Grandfather.    Cheers, Aussie Bob

Offline Topscore1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Pike/Pyke Horsham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 April 17 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

I too am interested in the fate of Henry Pike/Pyke Snr.  I am descended from him through Margaret, the eldest child of his his son Joseph.

At http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10340559 there are recommendations of the overseer and chaplain of the hulk "York" at Portsmouth apparently dated September 1831.  A number of convicts sentenced in 1827 are listed, including Henry Pike who was by then aged 60.  All have served more than four years of their seven year sentences.  The document suggests that, in those circumstances, they were pardoned and released.

Will be interested in your thoughts.

Topscore1 

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 April 17 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Topscore,  Yes I agree it looks like Henry snr. was freed 1831.  Thank you for this find.  Since my post on this issue, I have found that there was a "Henry Pike, Labourer, boarder, 76, at Portsea, Portsmouth, Hampshire" on the 1851 census.   It seems this may be our man, as his son, Henry Jnr on his convict papers was a Baker and labourer working for his brother at Portsea. The 1841 census has William Pyke aged 47 born Chichchester Sussex, occupation: Baker.  On the 1881 census at Portsea, Hamps. is William Pyke aged 66, retired Baker.     I have found more children born to Henry and Hannah and also what I believe is his father's burial: Thomas Pyke Buried 24 June 1774 Horsham, Sussex. Those I believe are Henry and Hannah's family are:

Henry Pike married Hannah Paine at Thakeham, Sussex 24 June 1793

1. William Pyke Bap. 29 June 1794 at Thakeham, Sussex (became a Baker)
2. Joseph Pyke Born abt 1800/1 Storrington, Sussex. (convict to Tasmania)
3. Mary Pyke Bap. 5 June 1803 at Storrington, Sussex
4. Charlotte Pyke Bap. 21 April 1805 Storrington, Sussex
5. Henry Pyke Born abt 1809 Storrington, Sussex (convict to Tasmania)
6. Richard William Pyke Born abt 1811 Sussex, England ( sailed to Adelaide with his wife in 1836)
7. Elizabeth Pyke Bap 30 May 1813 Storrington, Sussex (on the 1841 census Elizabeth was 28 and unmarried living with her brother William at Portsea, Hamps.
8. Hannah Pyke Bap 19 Nov 1815 Storrington, Sussex

I am interested to know which of Margaret Boag's children you descend from. I will send a personal message with my email address.  cheers, Bob

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 April 17 06:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry Topscore 1, I forgot I cannot send you a PM (personal message) until you have made 2 or 3 posts.  So if you reply to this with another post, and if someone can advise if it is 2 or 3 posts you need, we can proceed from there.   Cheers, Bob

Offline Topscore1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 April 17 07:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.  I look forward to hearing from you further. 

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 April 17 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Topscore 1,  It is 3 posts that is required before you can send/receive a PM so if you thank me once again  :D  I will be able to contact you....Bob

Offline Topscore1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 April 17 07:26 BST (UK) »
Meanwhile, allow me to give you the results of my research about Mary, Joseph Pike's wife convicted and sentenced at Lewes on the same day as her husband, brother-in-law and father-in-law, 11 August 1827.

Mary arrived in Sydney by "Competitor" in 1828.  She was assigned to William Syrett who, in 1829, gave permission for her marriage to Daniel Rapley who had arrived in 1818 by "General Stuart" and held a ticket of leave.  The couple asked that banns be read at St Phillip's church, Sydney, but the application carries the following notations over the initials "WC" (no doubt Rev William Cowper, the first rector of St Phillip's):

"Mary Pike is a married woman and there is no doubt that the letter purporting to have been written by her afflicted [illegible] is a fiction."

"On further reference to the original Muster Roll in the office of the Colonial Secretary, I discover the following which is Mary Pike's report at muster after arrival in Sydney Cove - 'Husband Joseph Pike sent to VD Land 12 months since."

Mary made a second attempt to marry in 1848 (at age 40) - to George Jarvis who arrived by "Exmouth" under life sentence and, in 1843, had been convicted at the Hyde Park Court, Sydney, of "disorderly conduct and living in a state of adultery'.  The application for permission for Mary and Jarvis to marry was refused by Rev K D Smythe, Presbyterian minister at Bathurst, with the notation: "Pike married on arrival".

So, while Joseph Pike managed to contract a bigamous marriage to Elizabeth McInnes in Tasmania and to raise a large number of children with her, Mary's two attempts at bigamy were twice thwarted.

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 April 17 07:42 BST (UK) »
Yes that is a great example of the inequality between sexes in those days.  It may be not a lot has changed today, but I do not wish this thread to be the vehicle for that debate  :). I had forgotten about the Jarvis connection, so thank you again.    I have tried my best to find a death for Mary but without success.   Will now PM,  cheers, Bob 

Offline Rappers 11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 12:04 GMT (UK) »
rpoole / Topscore,

I am fairly new to this, so please forgive me if I am incorrect.  I am a distant relative of Daniel Rapley who attempted to Mary (wife of Joseph Pike).  I was wondering if you can confirm a couple of items.  Do you have any evidence of Mary's surname being Huntly?, as I thought I had found her as Mary Ann Overy, who married Joseph Pike 29th December 1823.