Author Topic: Boarding house Bellingham  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boarding house Bellingham
« on: Sunday 05 March 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone know anything about a boarding house at The Croft Bellingham in the early 1900's?
Possibly for sick children?

Thanks
Meg

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding house Bellingham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 March 17 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Claravale, If you google The Croft, Bellingham, the google map shows The Croft on the B6320 road - Pennine Way, near to the Bellingham Showground. Assuming that the present day building has retained the same name since the period you are searching for.
Also try the site "Keys to the past", which covers Northumberland and Durham. When you get to that site try the search panel by entering 'Bellingham' and dozens of historical sites, buildings, etc. will be listed.  There also maps showing the location of such sites of interest.
Best of luck.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 March 17 14:15 GMT (UK) »
A further search looks as though The Croft MAY, and I stress May, have been The British and Foreign Society School, at Bellingham.   Comparing The Croft on the google map, and then the Keys to the Past map, it looks as though they are in the same location on the B6320.  The school was for, I believe, poorer children; funded by voluntary contributions; and that Society had something to do with The Quakers.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 March 17 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1911 Census for the address "The Croft, Bellingham" there are 5 properties - one of which comprises 6 occupants ie. 2 "boarding house keepers" and 4 "boarders" age 13 or under.

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 March 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
That is the one in which I want more info one of the children was my great grandmothers sister.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 March 17 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Find My Past policy precludes releasing details.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 March 17 14:59 GMT (UK) »
A further search looks as though The Croft MAY, and I stress May, have been The British and Foreign Society School, at Bellingham.   Comparing The Croft on the google map, and then the Keys to the Past map, it looks as though they are in the same location on the B6320.  The school was for, I believe, poorer children; funded by voluntary contributions; and that Society had something to do with The Quakers.

The Croft is on the south side of the River Tyne, outside of Bellingham itself, by the Cemetery http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=383434&Y=582945&A=Y&Z=106 

The site marked by Keys to the Past as the British and Foreign Society school is on the other side of the river, on the north side of Bellingham http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N8029

Here's a Geograph photo of The Croft http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3568108
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 March 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
JenB, Thanks for those links.  It looks as though there a 2 different 'The Croft's in Bellingham and the one Claravale is searching for is the site referred to in Keys to thePast.
As regards information re her relative perhaps members wiser than me can suggest which route to take next. ;)
Possibly freebmd.org could be another line of gleaning information, since Claravale will know her relatives name.

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 March 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I know she died in1919 I just sort of wondered if anyone from the area know of what it was for or why they specifically went there etc?